Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Actual General's Visor cap taken from Erwin Rommel "the Desert Fox" home in WWII

Article about: Went to a local museum today and found this display of General Erwin Rommel's visor cap. His home was occupied by this Texas Command unit and they confiscated a pair of his tall leather offi

Here is another view of Rommel's crusher--note the low peak:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Actual General's Visor cap taken from Erwin Rommel "the Desert Fox" home in WWII  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Actual General's Visor cap taken from Erwin Rommel "the Desert Fox" home in WWII
    P
    Many

Yes stonemint, Camp Mabry - located in the central part of town. I will post a few other pictures of display pieces from there in the days ahead. They also have a pair of Rommel's boots but they are no longer on display. I believe most people, when they think of a renowned General, relate better to a visor that sits atop a famous tacticians head ( and reflects upon his great mind) then a pair of boots he walked around in!

Word is that the museum offered the boots back to Manfred Rommel (the son) and he declined and said it was fitting that they remained together and in the Museum.

Excellent thread gentlemen! Thanks!

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Some more pics of the Mabry visor, and a letter from Manfred regarding the hat:
    This was the previous display before the museum changed its displays under new leadership. The new head came from the Admiral Nimitz Museum in nearby Fredericksburg, Texas. He has done a marvelous job of building up enthusiasm for large scale reenactments complete with both German and US tanks and halftracks. Quite a sight to see.

The old display area was also a MG lovers dream because the MG's were in the center of the room and not cased. Now they have been pulled back into the reserve till a new layout with glass cases is put into effect. Signs of the times for sure.

Another interesting factoid is that Rommel did wear the DAK Tropenhelm, but only for a short while, and dumped it in favor of his visor cap:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Actual General's Visor cap taken from Erwin Rommel "the Desert Fox" home in WWII  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2