Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on preserving a visor cap

Article about: I have just bought my first visor however I am not really sure on the best way of preserving them. I would be really grateful for any advice as I would hate for it to deteriorate through my

Default Advice on preserving a visor cap

I have just bought my first visor however I am not really sure on the best way of preserving them.

I would be really grateful for any advice as I would hate for it to deteriorate through my ignorant neglect

Many thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on preserving a visor cap
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Keep it in a stable enviornment free from large temperature swings and humidity.

Been told you should stay away from putting them on styrofoam heads or resting them on the brim. also keep out of direct or strong indirect sunlight.

I know some people put them in airtight bags and store them...but then you can't enjoy them...
    Last edited by MAP; 07-29-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you MAP So without using the heads what is the best way of keeping its shape please?

Cheers

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Don't where it for arc welding or stag do's Nick
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

You can use the Styrofoam heads but ensure to put an acid-free paper or muslin cloth layer between the cap and the head.

styrofoam is only a problem over a long period of time when the chemicals start to degrade, however if you change them out every 5-7 years they are fine.

First time I've ever heard that theory. Every other advice on any forum I've read has the Styrofoam heads down as absolute poison for caps. On what evidence do you base your claim? (a claim I would like to believe given my own styrofoam head/cap combinations)

IMO, the best are the support stands Skipper Greenwade makes, but be sure to use as little pressure as possible.
    They are also sold by Reddick Enterprises as well.

Hat Jack - Adjustable Hat Stretcher - Reddick Militaria
    Attached Images Attached Images Advice on preserving a visor cap 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Here is Skipper's site--his stands are the best:

HEADGEAR DISPLAYS
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

MAP
    ?

Stonemint: I probably know the answer to this but want to hear from others. What about plain open cell foam (like what is used in seat cushions) which is cut out to fit the shape of the visor. It is different than styrofoam.

Is this a no-no as well? I've heard that it is OK and have used it on some of my visor displays but ready and willing to take them out if they are bad news and replace with something else.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast