Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on preserving a visor cap

Article about: I have just bought my first visor however I am not really sure on the best way of preserving them. I would be really grateful for any advice as I would hate for it to deteriorate through my

Hi Nick

I use the foam that is use as lagging to line pipes in the home.......cut them to make the right size shape for each cap and that holds the shape, wrap them in cotton lining from an old sheet or T shirt and this gives it some more support as well. I then make my own stands which takes the weight off the peak as well.....then display but away from direct sunlight.

cheers

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on preserving a visor cap
    P
    Many

here's one I made earlier.......true blue peter moment !

Advice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor cap

Although admittedly not in a colour suitable for military items, these stands are ideal for supporting caps. My daughter purchased two off eBay, although she didn't ask for bloody pink! I am assured that they are available in a variety of colours.

Advice on preserving a visor capAdvice on preserving a visor cap

I forgot to mention that another thing I use are oval-shaped car-wash sponges, which I wrap in imitation silk.
    (some you have to cut down to size).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Harry, your hat stand looks FABULOUS! xx

Thank you all for your great advice, I really appreciate it

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Glass heads are another alternative. Glass is pretty neutral and is hard. Although I've used them in the past, I don't know if I would go with hat stretchers. They tend to put impressions into the already delicate leather sweatbands.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    First time I've ever heard that theory. Every other advice on any forum I've read has the Styrofoam heads down as absolute poison for caps. On what evidence do you base your claim? (a claim I would like to believe given my own styrofoam head/cap combinations)
    Basic thing we are thought in Customs, styrofoam has a general life of 5-7 before it goes through a chemical change which results in yellowing, bing brittle and acid leaching. Before this it is a safe object to use even if it is punctured/cut/ripped. The reason why fresh fruit is always keeps in these is because of their low acid bleeding after manufacture. However that is just something we are thought in Australia, however it is your collection and you have the right to store it on whatever object you want.

Mr. Spandau's energy as a craftsman scholar is very admirable.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Harry, your hat stand looks FABULOUS! xx
    In the pink you might say!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast