Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze

Article about: One of my favorite hats , only one missing grommet and its too small . Gift from an Uncle who had a brother in the Artillery , have some of his flashes ,I'll post later . Any suggestions on

CBH
    ?

Default Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze

One of my favorite hats , only one missing grommet and its too small . Gift from an Uncle who had a brother in the Artillery , have some of his flashes ,I'll post later . Any suggestions on how to get the wrinkles out ? Steam maybe .
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze   Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze  

Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze   Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze  

Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze
    P
    Many

Default re: Afrikakorps M40 Feldmütze

M43 usually means it was issued by the Munich depot in 1943 and this type of cap is most commonly called a M40 or M41, depending on which collector terminology you prefer to use. This would be a 2nd pattern as it appears to have a sweatband and never had a soutache applied.

I am not sure if it is possible to remove the wrinkles and also many collectors would think you would be altering it's history.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice original tropical cap but not very likely it was issued to the Afrika Korps due to the late manufacture.
    As Jerry said, these are known as M40 caps and you shouldn't try to clean or press or do anything to it.
    It's perfect as it is.

CBH
    ?

I mostly called in a M-43 because it is marked that on the inside , And I believe it was pick up during the Italian campaign , so Afrikakorps was the wrong title . Glad you like it
    Cheers

Hi, yes it is a good cap and as you pointed out it was picked up in Italy so not DAK, but most people use the term Afrikakorps, though some would argue that unless it has a known Africa history it is probably more correct to use the term tropical, though Africa is nowhere near the tropics, so strictly speaking that does not really fit either. So for ease of understanding people use the collector invented terms, in this case M40 (or M41) and this probably originated from items like yours with a depot stamp and partly copying the system used by the Germans for weapons, such as P08 or MP40 or MG 34 which is the date at which these items were first used or were first designed.

I look forward to seeing the other items from your uncle's brother.

It's good to get a cap with a known history and a family item is better still IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    you shouldn't try to clean or press or do anything to it.
    It's perfect as it is.
    I am not usually the OOO-AHHH-AWESOME DUDE - THANX 4 POSTING type - but that example is NICE.

I collect Soviet stuff but have always had a soft spot for TR Tropical.

In any case, I agree with Ben...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Beautiful,large sized cap!Yes...there's one method to get rid of those wrinkles without runing the cap....TURN YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND THEY'RE NOT THERE...leave this beaut alone!
    Horrido!
    Last edited by Horrido; 05-05-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: TRYPOS...WHRAT EKLSE!

?

Indeed -
    It ain't broke, so don't fix it...
    Regards,
    Mark

Great cap - Keep it the way it is. Displaying it on a headform
    should give it some shape, at least.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Great looking tropical TR cap. She looks just fine as is

Regards, Lars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast