Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor

Article about: This is an uncommon visor, in that it is a special grade (for both officers and OR's) called Sonderanfertigung, or "special grade" quality, a cut above the standard OR visor--doesk

Default Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor

This is an uncommon visor, in that it is a special grade (for both officers and OR's) called Sonderanfertigung, or "special grade" quality, a cut above the standard OR visor--doeskin/melton wool body, leather s/b, silk-lining, higher peak, etc. This isn't mine, but I had the opportunity to examine it in detail. Note it does not have the standard Trikot body/band.

(Yes, the eagle is technically incorrect, in that it is an M-36 Partei eagle--but it is the only eagle that was ever on the hat):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor
    P
    Many

Default Re: Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor

S/D with the "Sonderanfertigung" insert--note rayon (not Wasserdicht) lining:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

Close-up:

The earlier SS linen RZM label in white (F-B/Derek, have these been dated yet as to when they were phased out?)

Totenkopf:

Hats off at the dinner table:

FYI, here is an A-SS on Shea's site right now, but with the political M-37 eagle. If you look at original pics, the wearing of political eagles in the SS by EM/NCO's was not uncommon:
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor 

Thank you for the images. I guess your chum in Arizona sold this piece recently. It is a nice and interesting piece, not the least because of the NSDAP Hoheitsadler, but also because of its saddle shape construction and because it has the "Sonderanfertigung" tag still in place. I think these caps were introduced in 1934 or so, based on the price list that Derek has posted elsewhere. This tag I date from late 1934 through 1936, but I am not wholly certain. Maybe when the 1927/9 cap eagle got superseded, whoever used this party badge...who knows?

This kind of melton wool is typical of the first generations of black SS peaked caps, but I would not want to generalize beyond said statement. One tends to find the early caps in this textile, as I have illustrated elsewhere.

This cap was made by August Mueller, Muenchen, which I think was the leading contractor of especially Sonderanfertigung caps....although others made them too. Sonderanfertigung or Eigentumsmuetzen caps are less frequently seen, and the ones made by Weissach in Glachau Sachsen were were wrongly pilloried as being fake. This piece here is an early variant.

The use of the variant eagle does not bother me in the slightest. There are many photographs of same.

as comparison is this piece for an officer that was on Gottlieb's site. It is later, but the same general idea. It is also a Mueller cap.

The Sonderanfertigung cap for officers was apparently phased out by 1939, if the price list is to be believed, but remained on the books for other ranks.

The black RFSS tag ceases to be used after about 1938, I think. Hence, one can date these pieces within a narrow range of about four or so years. Not very much, really.

Somewhere, somehow, I did an analysis of the chronological order of tags in SS caps, but I wanted Derek C. to check my work and add his own data.

Here is the interior of an Isken/Koeln cap which I have posted far too often, but it is a very handsome piece. The signal virtue of this piece, aside from its wonderful appearance and connection to a prominent naval family turned Nazi, that it is dated and one can also ascertain the date on which this man became an officer in the SS: January 1936. Hence, the cap was made in late 1935 or early 1936. I have seen several sweatbands in SS caps dated 1935, but none dated earlier. Does someone have further data?
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor 

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast