Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

Article about: To be sure, this sort of cap is still in service in the Bundeswehr and the Bundesheer, two fine institutions of great merit and marvelous comradeship. Due to the banking crisis and the capri

?

Default The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

It's always been of interest to me that the Einheitsmütze style of cap remained so popular in post war Germany and remains so to this day.
    It's not something you can wear walking down any British pavement without drawing major attention to yourself, I've tried it!
    What is it about this design of cap that makes it so popular? In the sense of form follows function, the design is a complete flop. Fold down flaps that are supposed to cover the ears but don't, fiddly little buttons, a peak that sticks out much further than is necessary. From a pure design point of view, it's a disaster yet it was immensely popular.
    Why do you think that is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!   The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!  

The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!   The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!  

The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!   The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!  

The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

Or indeed why do collectors today have such strong desires to own a TR example?

It was the first cap I wanted, that's for certain. I'm not entirely sure why though. Even today, I do sometimes wear a repro version around the house when doing odd jobs!?

?

I have a repro one I used to wear too,but after I put a Lufty eagle on it I quit wearing it.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

I have a Swiss WW2 cap that's similar that I like very much. It is a super weird hat, but it's oddly appealing too, I wish I knew why though! It's kind of Elmer Fuddy, but also kinda noble/humble looking at the same time, I don't get it either.

?

I used to have a Post war BundesWehr one, complete with cap badge, in the mid-1970's. I took the badge off it and used to wear it all the time, especially when I used to go fell walking/hiking.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The original of this cap was Austrian, really. And you do not find them in Germany much any more, save some in the Bundeswehr among the Gebirgsjaeger. They used to be wide spread among hunters, too, as well as uniformed organizations, as the BGS and the customs, but not any more. It was true 40 years ago when I first started to go to Germany, but this kind of cap died out in the 1980s.

These two are still for sale on line, but I never find them in hunting stores in either Germany or Austria. I must be looking in the wrong place. These are Baschlikmuetzen, originally worn in the KuK Armee .The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

As fate would have it, I actually drove by the place in the Siegerland where these are now sold in November, so there. I have to go back now. God bless Google maps.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Here are some Austrian prototypes of the monarchy and a group of re enactors who dress this way, today.The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

The above cap was also the prototype for the Hitlermuetze, or the SA Muetze, or the "coffee can" as it is oddly called in North America.The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

How can sane people care about such things?The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!The appeal of the Einheitsmütze!

Thanks to Ben VK for the images of post war Germany.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast