Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Black Cap for Identification

Article about: I have some number of these, bought a few years back when they were the rage. I am in poverty as a result. Opinions appreciated on the authenticity of this pitched visor, and anyone who can

Default Re: Black Cap for Identification

He has done so on this site and several others, i.e. daggers and the lord of the flies site; plus his caps are in the leading books, i.e. Saris/Spronk and the Shea/Beaver books, too. And others, as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black Cap for Identification
    P
    Many

At the risk of being rude, here is one of them that is among the rarest SS caps in the firmament today. It is illustrated in the Shea Beaver book.
    Attached Images Attached Images Black Cap for Identification 

a kepi with a leather peak appeared recently, but without these cap badges.

?

F-B:

Thanks for this remarkable image.

I do not have the Shea/Beaver volume at hand, as I am on the road, but I cannot recall this image from the book. I do recall a kepi, but in my mind's eye it sports a 1st pattern eagle. Have not seen (or cannot recall) this item with a cockade as thus.

In any event, I know little about this subject.

Our Canadian friend has kepis of various kinds in the Shea/Beaver and Saris/Spronk books, I am certain. The latter is stronger on the kepi front than is the former.

D'Alquen also owns one of the very few white SS caps in the solar system, and it is illustrated in the Shea/Beaver book, as well.

It is a remarkable piece.

The other white cap of note is on the Whamond site still and is in a Canadian collection.

Why I know all of this is a mystery even to me.

Further, it is bad manners of me to describe someone's else property, but I apologize all the same.

He has a very fine collection and an even finer and more profound command of this complicated subject that grows more diffuse and opaque in the night and fog of the digital age.

?

d'alquen's posts on other forums over the years, with different logos, have always been generous and supportive of everyone interested in this field, amateurs such as myself included.

Quote by Frog View Post
    d'alquen's posts on other forums over the years, with different logos, have always been generous and supportive of everyone interested in this field, amateurs such as myself included.

I associate myself with the above. The number of constructive voices in this little demimonde is quite small, and we are thankful to d'alquen for his unstinting willingness to share with us and set an example of how research in the sources (i.e. archival sources, primary documents, as close to truth as we are likely to get after eighty or seventy years...) can enable us to understand this material. The gun-show-lore-mountebank and the cap-stitch-pressure-on-forehead-dogmatist have feet of clay.

?

I now have two more #!@& hours to spend in this airport, and will search my files for some new post.

What were the soaring joys of the jet age in our youth are now a real source of misery. Invest in rails, I say!

But we in North America have no sane way to cross the Atlantic except on ships, and, if the global warming thing takes hold, then the stock of steam ship companies will revive as will Zeppelins.

You read it here first.

I spend a lot of time in air ports, and there is no poetry to it, especially being on the receiving end of some security person's incapacity to say "please" as they feel your private parts in search of Czech plastic explosive.

?

I have located something of potential interest; see new posts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3