Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?

Article about: Hello everybody, first off, please excuse me if my entry is in a wrong category or not fitting at all, this is my first and maybe only post. My name is Helen, and i am not a collector of mil

?

Default can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?

Hello everybody,

first off, please excuse me if my entry is in a wrong category or not fitting at all, this is my first and maybe only post.
    My name is Helen, and i am not a collector of militaria, but my husband is an avid collector of all sorts of headgear.
    His birthday is coming up in march, and he asked me if i would try to build him a german WW2 visor cap as a present.
    I agreed, and he gave me pictures he found on the internet as a template.
    My problem now (regardless of not knowing if i can stem this at all) is that i've already spent hours to pin down the fabrics used
    in this caps, without finding any concrete definition.

I stumbled over this forum many times during my research, and i got the impression that if i could find any help at all with this, then here.
    This is why i joined.

I will attach some of the pictures my husband gave me and i would be really grateful for any kind of information on the fabrics used in the main body of this one,
    and the dark green band that goes around it.
    Thank you all very much in advance and forgive me for this unusual entry,

best regards, Helen
    can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Helen,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will be around shortly to provide specific feedback.

Typically, visors issued out of general stock were made out of a ribbed tricot wool. Private purchase visors were also make of a higher grade tricot wool as well as a wool doeskin weave and wool Eskimo weave

I am not sure what this fabric is. Looks like a wool but not a ribbed tricot wool.

There are others here who are experts in this field and as noted they should be around shortly.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Further, an excellent reference book is

The Collector's Guide To Third Reich Military Headgear (Schiffer Military History)

The Collector's Guide To Third Reich Military Headgear (Schiffer Military History): Gary Wilkins: 9780764314285: Amazon.com: Books

It includes clear and detailed pictures of all parts of the visor which should guide you in the construction of a visor (which is an ambitious task btw) as well as photos on commentary on the fabrics and materials used.

The book however is not inexpensive at around $70.00.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

hi Helen,i think you will have you work cut out to make the badges.

Hi Helen,

As a suggestion I would buy a good quality reproduction cap for him as the material to make one yourself will be difficult to source. look for reproduction uniforms on a search engine and you will see the vast array available.

Hope this helps.....

cheers

Tony

Wow that's quite an undertaking to make a cap. I would be buying a reproduction if it was me. Mainly because I wouldn't know where to start!
    Steve

as to textiles, here is some help, but you will not easily find these textiles with any comfort in the world of 2015.

Voila:

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?Also, there exist at huge expense sample books of the textiles of the time, but these are not easily had and cost many times what a normal cap of the period costs.

can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?The key are a series of Schablonen you see here.

And the diagram you see here to sketch out the panels, and pieces, and then-----with great skill---put them all together.

Here is the form for the cap cover. can somebody help me to exactly define a fabric?

?

thank you, everybody!
    this has all been very helpful, indeed!
    I guess you are right, though. I will best get him a nice reproduction cap, since the money for the material and the work time i'd put in it
    would be totally wasted if it is really that difficult to do. I am a relatively skilled hobby tailor, but i have never done anything like this before.
    So, if you can recommend any good quality reproduction sellers, please keep me updated.

As for my initial question:
    Somebody told me that the fabric might be a wool/polyester blend Melton. Was something like this used (or in fact, even invented) in this period?

Thank you so much,
    Helen

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast