Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Cap Making

Article about: Ladies and Gentlemen, encouraged by and with the consent of F.-B. (thanks a lot for the encouragement) I publish the pages of Hempe's book relevant for visor cap making. This also involves a

Very nice image of these personages.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cap Making
    P
    Many

?

Thank you Mr. Saris for bringing up the subject. Funny that adult people can elaborate on such a theme in such a depth.

To my knowledge there were different methods to keep the caps in shape.

There was the possibility to sew a metal ring or one made of rattan (Rohr, see Hempe p. 28) into the piping.
    Then (when prescribed) a metal ring could be sewn onto the rim of the top panel of the cap (see Hempe p. 29).
    Finally the “soft caps” which had a cord sewn into the piping (but not only these) often had felt strips sewn onto both sides of the seam of the top panel under the lining (see Hempe p. 29).

Then there was the “Lagerbügel” (I presume to store such soft caps) which should be removed (but not always was) before wearing the cap, as the felt-reinforcements would keep the cap in shape (Hempe p. 30).

One can imagine how rigid some caps were when there were up to 3 metal rings in it. (I do not own one but NDAP-visors look very rigid, so perpaps someone cares to check.)

The dents in the “soft caps” shown were caused (after the removal of the Lagerbügel, had there been sewn in metal rings they could not have been removed without destroying the cap) by the relatively short seams of the side panels – the head (esp. the long skulled) filled the cap out and the rim would dent. Sometimes this was done deliberately to make the wearer look more daring, or by the habit to put the cap on/take it off like a hat – using two fingers grabbing the cap at the front seam which causes two dents to the right and the left of this front seam. And, with the metal ring sewn into the cap, you could never remove these dents again once the ring was dent.

Yes, various methods existed to retain the shape of the cap. In volume 3 I briefly explained this.
    The inner of the piping also could be from fish-bone (Fischbein). Later they experimented with
    other materials.

The metal ring in the inner was for many years the main problem, as one did remove this.
    This metal wire was the main factor for retaining shape. Many publications from all kinds of
    organizations were published to let the cap owners know, not to do this. But whatwever,
    many did not listen and removed it to give the cap "an old dented shape" by shaping it
    (such behaviour one sees also with other armies). See for example enclosed letter in relation
    to the Allgemeine-SS from June 9, 1934.

Cap Making

It all is a very interesting subject anyway.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 03-27-2015 at 01:43 PM.

FB: one day I was planning an in-depth book about Stahlhelm-uniforms.
    Visited for that reason the Stahlhelm-archive in the 1980's. I copied thousands
    of pages and, with the help of a guy, we reproduced about 700-750 photographs
    from albums, books and periodicals.

When I intended to start working on it, I asked the photographer for the negs.
    During he had moved they all got lost. Anyway he could not find them anymore.
    I never could bring up spirit again to re-start the reproducing. And so my plan
    was never carried through.

I also intended once to write a book on buckles. My exact plan was known to an
    American author (during his many visits we had discussed the matter and my plan).
    He "surprised" me one day with a quick and dirty project. You can understand my
    disappointment. My material landed in draws, my collection was sold. End of story!
    At the moment of my plan, just the Reid booklet was available with drawings. My
    plan was great, thanks to the sneaky person the book was sh*t.

During the years much of the buckle information and knowledge was handed over
    to a German. Maybe one day his book will be published. As far as I know the guys
    knowledge it will be the final buckle-book. Also many years ago I handed over lots
    of material, related to the SA collar-patches and shoulder-straps, as some American
    planned a new book on the subject.
    It never came. The job was taken over by others and still no sign it will ever come
    available. Many think to write a book instantly. No way!! Most have no idea what
    will come over them and surely one needs lots of time (years).

Thanks so much. I appreciate your hard work, since, without getting into too much detail, I also write for a living.
    Thanks for all that you have done for all of us. I do look at your books each day and always pleased with the result.
    Too many here have no idea of the effort that goes with real scholarship, to say nothing of the strength of soul necessary
    to undertake and to finish such enterprises.

My secret weapon is my editor, who was my significant other for six years, and who treats me with a kind of brutality
    that would make Eicke blush. But because of her, I get my projects finished.

We salute Wim and honor his decades of hard, hard work to our benefit and wisdom.

Hi Wim, I would echo FB's sentiments.

I once started a book on a British subject matter. Handed over a lot of material. Luckily I did get a little financial redress. The book never came to pass.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Cap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap Making
    Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Yes, various methods existed to retain the shape of the cap. In volume 3 I briefly explained this.
    The inner of the piping also could be from fish-bone (Fischbein). Later they experimented with
    other materials.

The metal ring in the inner was for many years the main problem, as one did remove this.
    This metal wire was the main factor for retaining shape. Many publications from all kinds of
    organizations were published to let the cap owners know, not to do this. But whatwever,
    many did not listen and removed it to give the cap "an old dented shape" by shaping it
    (such behaviour one sees also with other armies). See for example enclosed letter in relation
    to the Allgemeine-SS from June 9, 1934.

Cap Making

It all is a very interesting subject anyway.
    cap without a spring. Muetzendraht= spring.

Cap MakingCap MakingCap Makingcap with a spring.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Wim, I would echo FB's sentiments.

I once started a book on a British subject matter. Handed over a lot of material. Luckily I did get a little financial redress. The book never came to pass.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,

I do not care for the money. I am paid always with books, no royalties.
    With the books I can do what I want (half of them is a free present to
    friends for their great cooperation). Without them I could not do books
    at all. A true fact!

Maybe I told this before (maybe) I occasionally also have made special
    presents for special friends. So, for my book about aiguilletes ("Aiguillettes
    of the Third Reich
    ") I had made in Germany book-layers. There exist
    versions in silver embroidery and golden embroidery, as well as with golden
    Litze for my best friends. The shown sample is a "one-of-a-kind". It has a
    golden wide braid and extra the golden oakleaf as my personal sample.

For my "Handbook of the Hitler-Jugend" another book-layer was made
    and for a new book, which might be released at the end of the year or
    next year I may decide to have made one too. The plan is there; the idea
    about how and what also. Only ten or so. No more. It must remain a rare item!

Cap Making

Cap Making

For the headgear-series I haven't done this. There are too many volumes
    to be released.

My concern is to make out of my material something that interests readers.
    When I am gone (and who knows how quick this will be when one is over
    seventies) my knowledge is lost. And my files surely will land into the
    dustbin.

?

Hello F.-B.,
    you have already postet the last cap in thread # 34 elsewhere and already then I was amazed at the unusual piping. Is this piqué?

Wilhelm: your consignment is already on the way.
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 03-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast