Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?

Article about: A recent thread on the other site got me to thinking, not for the first time, why the fascination with Waffenfarbe colour whilst at the same time ignoring the quality of the product? In othe

Default Re: Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?

It's also about aesthetics with me--the old cliche of "s3": Style, Symmetry, & Shape:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?
    P
    Many

?

Wow, that is a stunner Chris but I have to say, stitching ain't the best. Such is the ridiculous standards that I look for.

Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    I'm intrigued, I can't spot the clue! damit, basta!
    I cannot spot the clue either, but my use of a page from the RZM Handbook (and there are about eight hundred pages like this....) gives you an idea of the breadth and depth of things that is totally beyond the comprehension of the fashion police around here.

?

To illustrate what I'm talking about. These caps were mostly machine sewn and it's very difficult to control a machine when it gets going. You only get one chance and if the machine gets away from you, you end up with this. A line of sewing that should be right in the gap between piping and centreband and therefore, invisible. It didn't happen here and the operator strayed outside the target area. No big deal but a sign of how difficult it was/is to get it spot on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?  

Hi Guys,

Well I am greedy and I'd have both !

Now as a reformed "must get every waffenfabre collector" I can see both sides. Today i buy what I like and if it is tatty then so be it ! I have never owned a PzG cap mainly because I couldn't afford them when I started and now am not bothered to have one at any price.

My first cap was an arty one and I have since collected quite a few all by different makers..... so I guess that makes me red preferential in the waffen fabre stakes.

Part of the reason for me not to collect all the fabres also stems from the fact i collect across three eras and the caps are hard to find at the best of times so being picky on colours isn't an option.

Quality before rarity for me now !

cheers

Tony

Ben, I agree, that is not a high-quality prewar cap, but it demonstrates my other criteria (the s3) quite well!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Absolutely Chris,
    Style, Symmetry & Shape is all here in this cap in abundance!

Hi

Thinking further about well made caps and quality of product, it is ironic that my preferred collection habit is Reichswehr and within these caps you get the early 1920's rough and ready made style and the beautiful early 1930's private purchase examples. Chalk and cheese. So I guess you can have both but here I prefer the early caps as there character stands out.

Now I've confused myself about what I like................back to my original comment, I'd have both !

cheers

Tony

?

Hat quality is a most interesting subject. If you take the period from 1900 to 1945, there are peaks and troughs in material quality but I don't think you can single out one single era where quality of manufacture was better than another. I've handled caps from 1917 which are exquisite in construction yet poor on quality of materials and black SS hats from the 30's which use the finest and softest melton wool but aren't that well put together.

It should not really be a surprise though. We all buy clothing. I myself perfer DKNY jeans/trousers as the quality is high and the fit perfect for me.

No one wears hats anymore though so none of us have any experience of buying them, wearing them or having any opinion of which brands are the best.
    You will not find a "which magazine" best buy hat online articule. If the internet had been around during the 1930's, you would have found such comparisons, and recommendations for hats just like any other product these days.

Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?I still buy clothing from these people, when I can. But their sortiment has changed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast