Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Concerned about particular headgear

Article about: Recently saw 2 nice Luft EM/NCO caps at Espenlaub with some pretty rare piping. I'm concerned because 1: I've never dealt with these guys before 2: the construction of their respective inter

Default Concerned about particular headgear

Recently saw 2 nice Luft EM/NCO caps at Espenlaub with some pretty rare piping.
    I'm concerned because 1: I've never dealt with these guys before 2: the construction of their respective interiors seems a little unusual i.e. lining materials and sweat diamonds. I'd like to know has anyone purchased anything from these guys (how is their reputation) and if anyone has the chance take a look at the construction of the Luft rosa piped (engineer) and the Luft Dark Green Piped (admin) EM/NCO caps

Thanks
    Keith B.
    USA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Concerned about particular headgear
    P
    Many

Default Re: Concerned about particular headgear

Hi Keith
    They are sponsors of this site, and in my experience are good to deal with

They are great dealers, possibly one the best on line shops of the moment.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Thanks for the feedback! It's hard to make a decision being half a world away and never having purchased outside the country it's difficult to trust a dealer that I've never bought from. I really like to physically see, feel and touch an item before I buy it unless it's coming from someone I know very well, especially when it involves a particularly "Scarce" item. So thanks again for the feed back as well as any advice.
    Keith B.

?

I have purchased many items from Espenlaub anf they are top guys to deal with , never any problems.

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Had a look at the hats for you Keith.

The dark green piped cap is odd for the fact that the side lining is a cheese cloth type material (FB, what would the correct German name be for this material?) I've never seen this before in a schirmmutze. This material is usualy only used for support inside the cap. Having said that, I did once own an Officers M43 cap and the whole interior was lined with this material with no evidence of any other cloth having been on top. (see photo)

The orange piped example is also very tough to judge. The quality of construction is very poor and there's obviously no makers stencil apparent which is unusual for a Luftwaffe cap, is it not?

Would welcome Chris' (stonemint) opinion of these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concerned about particular headgear  

Thanks for confirming what I thought! I've never seen this "cheese Cloth" type of material used solely for the inner liner. As you describe I know it is used underneath the inner lining but as for the lining itself??? As far as the Luft Engineer I'm worried about the quality of the lining it seems a little cheesy to me not the normal "chintz" that you would expect especially on an early cap, also the stitching around the diamond and the diamond itself. Without being able to physically inspect it I don't know if I should take a chance on it. Just too far to ship it back if its wrong.
    Thanks Much for the input, I also would appreciate "stonemint"s opinion as well. I've seen several really good caps on their site but with the rarity of these piping colors I was a little worried.