Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum

Article about: I visited the New Zealand Army Museum at Waiorou, on the north Island of NZ several years ago, sadly it was the old days of a camera that had film, so I didn't go nuts with the camera, (wish

Default DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum

I visited the New Zealand Army Museum at Waiorou, on the north Island of NZ several years ago, sadly it was the old days of a camera
    that had film, so I didn't go nuts with the camera, (wish I had the digital back then) but this gem was on display within the museum, along
    with some other great DAK pieces, (except for that terrible post-war painted helmet). I did spend some time pressed against the glass
    drooling, and although I couldn't get any interior shots, this cap has it all. The dust, grime, sweat and wear of a real Afrikakampfer.

Forgive me, I will include a couple of general views of the display as well as the cap, so hopefully it doesn't violate the rules too much

Slightly off topic for a few seconds if I may, I was actually a part of the honour guard that laid the foundation stone for the museum when I was with
    the Australian Army working with the Kiwis way back in 1977 (or maybe 1978, I can't remember exactly now), and we were a part of the multi national
    force (US, UK, Aussie and Kiwi) that was a part of the official ceremony to lay the foundation stone for the new museum, and back then it was a very
    cold and windy hill with no other building around at all, so it was great to finally get back again many years later and actually visit the finished product,
    and I heartily recommend it to anyone that is in the area to visit the place. (it is near Lake Taupo).

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum   DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum  

DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum   DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum
    P
    Many

?

That was a cap with soul. Very very nice!

I see there is a coco feldflasche in the display Bob?

I wonder if it was a genuine DAK bring back or if it was added to the display later for effect?
    Would help the belief that they did see action in north Africa if it was!

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

a been ther cap.lovely.

?

Very nice to see an original.

?

My favourite display in the Museum, Bob. I've been several times now and still photograph the cap and tunic. The green webbed Y's are also of special note....it's a pity that they include that horrible post-war painted helmet in there!!
    Thanks for post!
    Mark

Quote by NZMark View Post
    My favourite display in the Museum, Bob. I've been several times now and still photograph the cap and tunic. The green webbed Y's are also of special note....it's a pity that they include that horrible post-war painted helmet in there!!
    Thanks for post!
    Mark
    I would love to see your photos of that Panzer cap Mark, if you are able to, I was down to my last roll of film when I was there, so my shots were a bit limited

Here are a few more general shots from my visit...

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum   DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum  

DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum   DAK Panzer Other Ranks M40 cap in a New Zealand museum  

I will have to get back there for another visit sometime soon....