Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DAK Tropenhelm

Article about: Agree with Tim that the first pic is in Italy, not Afrika. Heres one thats on ebay at the moment, looks like a 2nd pattern, but don't know where it was taken. Again, he has a 2nd pattern tun

R.R
    ?

Default DAK Tropenhelm

It arrived today, DAK pith helmet olive green by JHC:

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

DAK Tropenhelm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK Tropenhelm
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK Tropenhelm

Thats a good condition, un-issued 2nd pattern Heer tropenhelm. I notice its by JHS rather than JHC as you posted. It's always good to see these early dated examples, 1941, whilst many 1st patterns you see are dated 1942, though KM examples are often dated 1940.

Thanks for showing it.

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Ricardo

Nice second pattern tropenhelm. And an early one at that. Appears un-issued from the lack of wear on the sweatband etc. Still a nice example. Jerry beat me to it, well done Jerry.

Would hesitate to call this type a DAK type though. A very few were found in Tunisia at the surrender, which can be seen in the piles of captured equipment but have not seen any actual photographic evidence of them being worn by the DAK. The DAK was only a very small Kampfgruppe of the 5th Pz Army in Tunisia, having been nearly destroyed at Alamein. Most of these were used in Italy, Russia, France and the Sud Front.
    Last edited by Tim OKeefe; 03-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.

R.R
    ?

Hi Jerry and Tim,

I have these two pictures from this one in use, sources affirmated both are taked in Africa, there is a third one but I don't have it.

Thanks and Regards,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

The first photo is from Italy for sure. Not sure of the second, but the soldat does not appear to be a member of the DAK either. Notice second pattern tunic...nice photo though.

Hi Ricardo

The first photo is from Italy in '43. Not sure of second photo but does not appear to be a DAK soldat. Notice second pattern tunic.... the DAK wore first patterns. Nice photo though and it may be spring in Tunisia '43.

kind regards
    Tim

R.R
    ?

Here is another picture but I'm not sure if it's a felt version:

Agree with Tim that the first pic is in Italy, not Afrika.

Heres one thats on ebay at the moment, looks like a 2nd pattern, but don't know where it was taken. Again, he has a 2nd pattern tunic, so not Dak, but might be Afrika or Italy etc...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Tropenhelm  
    Regards,

Jerry

Referring to post # 9, this photo is from before Alamein, as Rommel is wearing his custom tunic. During Alamein he wore the standard first pattern tunic. Do to his early recall he did not have his custom tunic available and had to use a converted first pattern. The second pattern tropenhelm first appeared in Afrika in Tunisia with reinforcments/replacements not the DAK veterans. In this pic the shape looks like a first pattern sun-helmet (more square, not round dome) from this photo.

Next photo (post #11) is an olive first pattern, can see the seems on this one. Great photo though !

Quote by Tim OKeefe View Post
    Referring to post # 9, this photo is from before Alamein, as Rommel is wearing his custom tunic. During Alamein he wore the standard first pattern tunic. Do to his early recall he did not have his custom tunic available and had to use a converted first pattern. The second pattern tropenhelm first appeared in Afrika in Tunisia with reinforcments/replacements not the DAK veterans. In this pic the shape looks like a first pattern sun-helmet (more square, not round dome) from this photo.

Next photo (post #11) is an olive first pattern, can see the seems on this one. Great photo though !
    I'll take your word for the example in #11 having seams, but I can't see them and the shape is right for a 2nd pattern.

Picture #12 is a great pic, but the shape is wrong for a 2nd pattern, must be a green 1st pattern, like mine.

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Tropenhelm  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast