Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DRB schirmutze restoration

Article about: Hi, I picked this up mainly because I know I had a wreath insignia. The winged wheel impression is visible on the velvet band. The cap has gilded buttons, should the insignia be guided or ca

Default DRB schirmutze restoration

Hi,

I picked this up mainly because I know I had a wreath insignia. The winged wheel impression is visible on the velvet band. The cap has gilded buttons, should the insignia be guided or can it me mixed?
    The cap is of issue quality, would it be a lower rank official or for other ranks?
    And what type of chin strap/cords would be used. Thanks for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRB schirmutze restoration   DRB schirmutze restoration  

DRB schirmutze restoration   DRB schirmutze restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRB schirmutze restoration
    P
    Many

Default re: DRB schirmutze restoration

Nice cap, great project my friend, be patient !

Default Re: DRB schirmutze restoration

Thanks Sebastian,

I added some insignia I had, I believe it's correct. I'm looking for a chin cord.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRB schirmutze restoration  

Railways regulation winged wreath is gold, not silver. There was no such thing as mixed-insignia colorwise, & no such thing as a "silver" Railways winged wreath. The pip ( cockade ) is of course in silver ( aluminum). If you have a silver-appearing wreath, then it is a gold one that has lost its golden color. Many of these wreaths are encountered with the gold color gone, or nearly gone. There were 3 different color combos of gold & blue cap cords for Railways caps,- one for high officials; one for middle ranks, & one for lower-middle ranks. The EM's of course used the black leather chinstrap with black side buttons.

Quote by TriskelSonne View Post
    Railways regulation winged wreath is gold, not silver. There was no such thing as mixed-insignia colorwise, & no such thing as a "silver" Railways winged wreath. The pip ( cockade ) is of course in silver ( aluminum). If you have a silver-appearing wreath, then it is a gold one that has lost its golden color. Many of these wreaths are encountered with the gold color gone, or nearly gone. There were 3 different color combos of gold & blue cap cords for Railways caps,- one for high officials; one for middle ranks, & one for lower-middle ranks. The EM's of course used the black leather chinstrap with black side buttons.
    Triskel is correct. Karl, with the gold buttons, this hat is elgible for all 3 Reichsbahn cords. IMHO, your winged wreath is just a zinc one that absorbed the gilt.
    All sorts of gold eagles are worn with these hats--2 of mine have Political eagles (which are original).

I may have some extra cords. let me know the length you need.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Excellent candidate for a restoration - seems like a relatively easy one.
    Hope to see the finished result.

Just a thought - does the current eagle appear too small
    against this winged wreath ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Excellent candidate for a restoration - seems like a relatively easy one.
    Hope to see the finished result.

Just a thought - does the current eagle appear too small
    against this winged wreath ?
    Yes and no. It is the M-35 eagle, and you will most often see the larger M-38 gold state eagle with the winged wreath. However, you will see pics of DRB men wearing this eagle with their visors after 1941, as well as M-36 and M-37 political eagles. You will also see many pics taken after 1941 where the DRB man did not even bother to purchase the new cap or insignia.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”