Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze

Article about: Hi Guys, here's an early Infantry visor, named to a Rewfels of the 7 Company 80th Infantry Regiment. Regards, Kevin

KJV
    ?

Default Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze

Hi Guys,
    here's an early Infantry visor, named to a Rewfels of the 7 Company 80th Infantry Regiment.
    Regards,
    Kevin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze   Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze  

Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze   Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze  

2. # ADS

Default re: Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze

Very Nice again Kev, That is an early one....35/36?

Don't tell me, that one came from the cake shop

KJV
    ?

Hey Phil,
    no it did not come from a cake shop, ha. It came from the owner of a Marine Electronics shop in New Bedford Massachusetts, ha.
    Regards,
    Kevin

Hi Kevin, great cap.

The Regt was stationed in Koblenz in 1936

Cheers, Ade.

KJV
    ?

Hi Ade,
    I have this info on this unit.
    Regards,
    Kevin
    The 80th infantry regiment was part of the 34th infantry division.
    The Division played no role in the invasion of Poland as it was on defensive duties in the Saar region of the western front.
    It took part in the invasion of France however, but no distinctions are recorded.
    The division was deployed as part of Army group center during the attack on the Soviet Union, and seems to have been heavily engaged during the Soviet counterattacks of Jan/feb 1942.
    The division took part in the battles for Kharkov, and distinguished itself in the third battle for the city in August 1943.
    The division was then fighting well, albeit defensively, during the retreat through the northern Ukraine in the spring of 1944.
    After almost 3 years of fighting in the East, the division was at this point a shadow of it's former self, and was removed from the line and transferred to Northwestern Italy,where it spent it's time as a rear area unit guarding the Italian-French frontier.
    The division surrendered to American forces in Coumo, Italy.

Hi Kevin, I found this info just on the Regt itself, it is in German (sorry I don't know if you read German? Mine is only self taught. ) but fairly easy to get the general idea. It tells where they were based, name changes, etc

Aufgestellt am 1. April 1936 zur Rheinlandbesetzung in Koblenz im WK XII und der 34. Infanterie-Division unterstellt. Das III/ IR 80 wurde in Wetzlar aufgestellt und bezog die Spilburg-Kaserne. Erst nach Neubau der Gneisenau-Kaserne wurde das III./ IR 80 am 29.10.38 nach Koblenz verlegt. Nach dem Frankreichfeldzug wurde am 10. Dezember 1940 das III. Bataillon als I./Infanterie-Regiment 256 abgegeben und ersetzt. Am 5. November 1941 wurde das III. Bataillon in Folge schwerster Verluste aufgelöst. Am 15. Oktober 1942 wurde das Regiment in Grenadier-Regiment 80 umbenannt.

Cheers, Ade.

Not a early, the piping is big

Thumbs up re: Early Heer Infantry EM/Nco schirmutze

Hi KJV

I really like the look and 'feel' of this visor, nice catch...

Greetz

Nick VR

That is a great looking EM visor, Well done Kevin !!

That lid defines the term "pre-war quality"!