Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Einheitsfeldmutze by daniel fisher & oliver lock

Article about: Hi Ben I believe they are retailing at £30 plus p&p via Regimentals site. cheers Tony

Default Re: Einheitsfeldmutze by daniel fisher & oliver lock

The absence of proper spelling is hardly a sign of careful scholarship, but we live in a brave new world of very elastic rules. Of course, this other volume of "exotic" Nazi caps also has a grammatical error in its title, so this must be a trend. Happy hats.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Einheitsfeldmutze by daniel fisher & oliver lock
    P
    Many

Stinschen needs to teach us how to spell in Danish.

Hi,

After a sleepless night worrying about grammatical errors and the plight of umlauts the world over I bit the bullet and decided to ring the author directly at Regimentals.

I spoke with Oliver Lock this afternoon and he was duly concerned what impression this had given as the book cover DOES indeed have an umlaut, in the correct place.

It appears that the printers also made some marketing leaflets on which they omitted the umlaut and it is this image we have been discussing. I did say that this has not helped matters !

Now the umlaut scare has been put to bed, I feel I must add a response to Ben's question about who the author is.

I have known Oliver for a number of years as a regular at the militaria fairs I attend and I assure you that his knowledge on militaria is awesome and his diligence and "good eye" has often reaped rewards for me as well, most recently my Reichswehr field cap.

Having seen the detail on the book's photographs it may well be a helpful addition to many a militaria enthusiast. Also during our conversation Oliver mentioned that there are a significant number of unpublished original photos in the book. (now I'm begining to sound like his agent !)

I guess what I,m trying to say is that lets not "judge a book by it's cover" and that the devil is in the detail, so personally I shall wait and see the final product.

I hope this clarifys the matter and that I get a free copy for all the leg work !!!!!!

cheers

tony

thank you. I am sure the authors have worked hard, and we should surely give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the leaving out of the punctuation is an error.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Stinschen needs to teach us how to spell in Danish.
    Believe me, Danish is even worse than German without Umlauts.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Believe me, Danish is even worse than German without Umlauts.
    However, we would enjoy listening to you speak it, even with whatever orthographic marks are present. I am married to a Slovak, you know. They have thingies above their letters, too......

Hi

Got a copy today. i have to say for the money that it's excellent value.

It does what it says on the cover and gives the reader a selection of excellent photos of various forms of einheitsfeldmütze from all branch of services.

There are lots of period photos and close up shots of all the caps.

Text is informative and supports the items on display. As it focuses on only one type of cap the text can only say so much but the pictures do the talking.

p130 also has a little advert for the next publication.............

cheers

tony

Bravo.

?

I second that, how much is it Tony? I feel that I have to buy a copy now after first pointing out the error!

I recall when my publisher did the blurb for my first book, they misspelled the word "foreword" as "forward," which rather irritated me. And my publisher is a world famous, leading academic press, mind you.

We all need good editors, which is a very rare person in this silly world of ours. My ex girl friend, who has two doctorates, is my editor. And she actually cannot spell.

In any case, well done. I will proof read your ms. for umlauts if you want, or find a native German speaker in the UK to do so. It is worth the expense, because once a book exists, fixing the errors is a great trial.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast