Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

First Heer Schirmütze

Article about: by HistoryIsMe I dont have a visor cap, as much as I love them they are just so expensive for a nice one. Though I thoroughly enjoy looking at everyone's Caps and mabey one day soon I will f

Default re: First Heer Schirmütze

I think i just got the bug for visors now, if i keep buying like i have been i'm bound to help this recession out, thank god i've got a supportive wife.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First Heer Schirmütze
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Quote by bowlin7178 View Post
    I think i just got the bug for visors now, if i keep buying like i have been i'm bound to help this recession out, thank god i've got a supportive wife.
    I know that feeling well Visors have a special significance to me when it comes to German military collectables: they just have it all. These caps are structural masterpieces. Instead of a tunic that basically is just a piece of cloth that hangs on the body, these caps are complex constructions akin in a way to buildings and other engineering marvels executed with a lot of skill. Being a badge/medal collector also, these caps even have those in the form of insignia. I could go on forever... best to stop now

- Kenneth

Well said Kenneth.

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    I know that feeling well Visors have a special significance to me when it comes to German military collectables: they just have it all. These caps are structural masterpieces. Instead of a tunic that basically is just a piece of cloth that hangs on the body, these caps are complex constructions akin in a way to buildings and other engineering marvels executed with a lot of skill. Being a badge/medal collector also, these caps even have those in the form of insignia.
    - Kenneth
    I once shared your opinion on visors and tunics until I examined and held in my hands some examples of expert tailoring of these tunics. While visors have all the qualities you have described, and more, I must admit that these items do seem to grab hold of some.

Best regards,

CMH

KSH
    ?

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    I once shared your opinion on visors and tunics until I examined and held in my hands some examples of expert tailoring of these tunics. While visors have all the qualities you have described, and more, I must admit that these items do seem to grab hold of some.

Best regards,

CMH
    My words above probably suggested (unintentionally on my part) that I find tunics to be of inferior manufacture and nature compared to visor caps - this is far from my view. To make the high-quality tunics of the period demanded a lot of skill, just as much required to make visor caps for sure. The only thing I meant is that a tunic is not a construction "somewhat" akin to buildings with the kind of internal supports, the making and maintaining of spaces within this construction etc. that one sees in a visor cap. A tunic is for the most part made through skillful treatment of cloth - whereas in a visor cap you have the steel bands, the peak, the spring(s) etc in addition to this. A beautiful tunic is as much a work of art as a visor cap.

So I guess our views on the matter are pretty similar after all?

- Kenneth

First Heer SchirmützeI have had nice cavalry officer's caps, to include a Holters one, as well as a nice Tellermuetze contract cap for the same branch. All gone.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.

First Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeEach item is equally close to God and each item has its own poetry. I collect caps and tunics. I do not collect all the other gee gaws to a fault, i.e. a belt for each one, or a dagger, or suspenders for each one....I do collect real shirts as much as I can find them.

Best of luck to all collectors and good fortune in their quests for this junk.

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Each item is equally close to God and each item has its own poetry.
    That small sentence captures exactly what I tried to express above in my clumsy language, F-B. And may I add that it has a poetic quality in itself.

- Kenneth

First Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeFirst Heer SchirmützeThanks. Actually, my bon mot or aphorism is stolen from Leopold von Ranke, who said that each epoch of history is equally close to God or something similar. I feel rather guilty that my decades long problem with foetid woolens is generalized onto other more innocent persons.

KSH
    ?

As for our collectables being junk - in a way they certainly are. Take the visor in my avatar for instance, what is the true material value of it today? Some old fabric, some small pieces of aluminium, some strips of leather and the like. $ 5? But to me this junk is worth more than gold...go figure. Are we all just crazy?

- Kenneth

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast