Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

Article about: I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian dress hats. I have a couple examples of this paper label with no company mark. Any help would be appreciated! I was thinking at first EMS migh

Default Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian dress hats. I have a couple examples of this paper label with no company mark. Any help would be appreciated!

I was thinking at first EMS might be the company initials but haven't come up with anything.

EMS Hutfabrik - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Another example.

EMS Hutfabrik - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Another example but not mine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat
    P
    Many

Sorry this is off topic but I am just hoping someone might be able to help. This is my website.

Invision Power Board

Habig, welcome!
    I suggested he post over here rather than on the other forum, as he may get more feedback.

I have been interested myself in civilian haberdashery from 1920-39, and thought this would provide an interesting view from another angle.

PS--feel free to post any pre-1945 civilian headgear in this thread.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Hello Mr. Habig,

good you indicated your website, I just wanted to refer you there as I am afraid you are wrong here.
    Apart from me who is not only interested in (uniform)caps but also in hats - i. e. any kind of headgear - I am afraid there won't be too many other members with an interest in civil hats.
    Wonderful Melone by the way, have several, one is mint (unfortunately size 60, I take size 55) by Scott & Co./London which was distributed by Collins/Wien. There is a paper tag in my August Wenzel/Wien Melone but it is different and only a part of it visible, as the lining is glued onto it and no visible labels in my other 3.
    Your request gave me the opportunity to look through my hats - found 2 Habigs among them, one ordinary felt hat and one (of 4) Homburgs.

I suppuse you know this forum: The Fedora Lounge they are more likely to be able to help you.

Good evening, ErWeSa
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-12-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Quote by habigmann View Post
    Sorry this is off topic but I am just hoping someone might be able to help. This is my website.

Invision Power Board
    habig, that is a great site--a lot of your makers listed also made military/paramilitary headgear from 1900-45 (and in some cases post 1945).
    I did not know that Borchert survived the war--they made some phenomenal Cuirassier visors during the imperial era.

These are some of the makers you listed that also produced military/paramilitary pre-1945:

Mayser, Breiter, Weissbach, Zeumer, Hückel.

Interestingly, I do not believe any are making military headgear to this day.
    (The only pre-1945 military maker that is still in business that I am aware of is Alkero, ie, Albert Kempf).

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Hello Mr. Habig,

good you indicated your website, I just wanted to refer you there as I am afraid you are wrong here.
    Apart from me who is not only interested in (uniform)caps but also in hats - i. e. any kind of headgear - I am afraid there won't be too many other members with an interest in civil hats.
    Wonderful Melone by the way, have several, one is mint (unfortunately size 60, I take size 55) by Scott & Co./London which was distributed by Collins/Wien. There is a paper tag in my August Wenzel/Wien Melone but it is different and only a part of it visible, as the lining is glued onto it and no visible labels in my other 3.
    Your request gave me the opportunity to look through my hats - found 2 Habigs among them, one ordinary felt hat and one (of 4) Homburgs.

I suppuse you know this forum: The Fedora Lounge they are more likely to be able to help you.

Good evening, ErWeSa
    Thanks!

I am MayserWegener on the FL. I have hundreds of German and Austrian vintage (pre & post WWII) dress hats. I am especially into pre WWII Austrian Velour dress felts. I am also interested in the production processes from felt to finished hat. My site is filled with this type of information.

I was hoping someone here might have come across the paper label I posted above. There are many generic German dress felt hats that don't have any company mark (this is pre and post WWII). Some might have the hat shop listed others just a fancy name like "Gloria" . In most cases they were at lower price point compared to the famous brands. Here is one from Hut Seidel München that I was able to match to Mayser by label format (makes sense because they are historically connected).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzo...age-5#entry804

Are you aware of Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung, Der Deustche Hutdetailist, Österreichisch-ungarische Hutmacher-Zeitung and Österreichisch Hutmacher-Zeitung? These newspapers are full of valuable information but hard to come by. I have some copies but would like to find more.

Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung - General Discussion - Invision Power Board

Quote by stonemint View Post
    These are some of the makers you listed that also produced military/paramilitary pre-1945:

Mayser, Breiter, Weissbach, Zeumer, Hückel.

Interestingly, I do not believe any are making military headgear to this day.
    (The only pre-1945 military maker that is still in business that I am aware of is Alkero, ie, Albert Kempf).
    Mayser is still in business but moved all manufacturing to Slovakia in 2011. I have seen WWII military headgear but not sure if they did anything there after. I have many vintage Mayser dress felts.

Breiter München (still in business today, retail store, still make women's hats) made some men's hats but on a very small scale. Most of the the dress felt hats they sold in their shops were made by the famous hat companies. I have many dress felts with the Breiter München mark. For example this Melone made by C.G. Wilke of Guben.

Wilke Hutfabrik - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) is my favorite hat company. They made the finest Austrian Velours. They became TONAK after WWII which is still in business today (I visited the factory a few years ago). I have a lot of information on JHS and Hückel Hutfabrik Weilheim (started by the displaced workers).

Johann H

By Zeumer do you mean Carl Zeumer Magazin Zum PFAU?

Carl Zeumer Magazin Zum PFAU - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

By Weissbach do you mean Felix Weissbach Klapp-Hutfabrik?

Felix Weissbach Klapp-Hutfabrik - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Thanks again for the help!

Quote by stonemint View Post
    habig, that is a great site--a lot of your makers listed also made military/paramilitary headgear from 1900-45 (and in some cases post 1945).
    I did not know that Borchert survived the war--they made some phenomenal Cuirassier visors during the imperial era.
    Thanks! Yes Borchert survived WWII but I am not sure they made their hats (a retail store). I know Rehfus & Cie made hats under the Borchert mark (up to WWII). The ones I have are post WWII but there is no company mark (only Borchert) so I am not sure who made them (could still be Rehfus & Cie.).

For German and Austrian (they mostly are branded and are at the high end) dress felt hats I see:

Brand name only

Brand name plus retail store

Retail store only (no hat company mark)

Retail store plus fancy name (no company mark).

Fancy name only (no company mark).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast