Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

Article about: I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian dress hats. I have a couple examples of this paper label with no company mark. Any help would be appreciated! I was thinking at first EMS migh

I have some really good lists for Austrian makers but not for Germans makers. I have pieced together information (Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung, Der Deustche Hutdetailist, Kelly's Directories, The American Hatter but I have never come across anything like this Austrian Hat Industry Guide (1926) or the trade association lists in Österreichisch-ungarische Hutmacher-Zeitung and Österreichisch Hutmacher-Zeitung.

Austrian Hat Industry Guide (1926) - General Discussion - Invision Power Board

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat
    P
    Many

Quote by habigmann View Post
    For German and Austrian (they mostly are branded and are at the high end) dress felt hats I see:

Brand name only

Brand name plus retail store

Retail store only (no hat company mark)

Retail store plus fancy name (no company mark).

Fancy name only (no company mark).
    Of course there are others. The problem is when there are no company mark (liner, sweatband, paper label). Also initials can be problematic.

How do you edit posts?

?

Wow, this is great stuff! Some names are known to me like Zapf, Blum, Geiger (now in Goldgasse, almost no more hats but souvenirs). I am glad that there are people around who take care of these artefacts and everything around it. Should I come across something interesting/or have a specific question I now know who to turn to.

Congrats!

Sorry for the double post, was too quick in sending it off!
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-13-2015 at 04:28 PM.

?

Quote by habigmann View Post
    I have some really good lists for Austrian makers but not for Germans makers. I have pieced together information (Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung, Der Deustche Hutdetailist, Kelly's Directories, The American Hatter but I have never come across anything like this Austrian Hat Industry Guide (1926) or the trade association lists in Österreichisch-ungarische Hutmacher-Zeitung and Österreichisch Hutmacher-Zeitung.

Austrian Hat Industry Guide (1926) - General Discussion - Invision Power Board
    Wow, this is great stuff! Some names are known to me like Zapf, Blum, Geiger (now in Goldgasse, almost no more hats but souvenirs). I am glad that there are people around who take care of these artefacts and everything around it. Should I come across something interesting/or have a specific question I now know who to turn to.

Congrats!

You also can find information about the hat-making industry in for example
    "Die Bekleidungsarbeit", fachliches Schulungsblatt der Deutschen Arbeitsfront.

Ausgabe C specifically is for Kopfbekleidung. The first issues came in 1935.
    Much information is about the making of hats for females.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post

Congrats!
    Thanks! Yes all the famous Austrian city dress felt hat companies are gone. P. & C. Habig Wien lasted to late 1980s but it was a shadow of its past. The Austrian companies made great hats.

Here is a really nice P. & C. Habig Wien Melone of mine in NOS condition.

P. & C. Habig Hutfabrik - Page 3 - Austrian Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Also a fantastic 1920s catalog by J. Heinr. JTA.

J. Heinr. (Heinrich) ITA Hutfabrik - Austrian Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

- - ------- - -

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    You also can find information about the hat-making industry in for example
    "Die Bekleidungsarbeit", fachliches Schulungsblatt der Deutschen Arbeitsfront.

Ausgabe C specifically is for Kopfbekleidung. The first issues came in 1935.
    Much information is about the making of hats for females.
    Thank you for this information!

Quote by ErWeSa View Post

Congrats!
    Also if you can send me or post photos of your old hats I would like to see them.

Lovely derby. There is a Marie Slama of Vienna who was (probably still is) Vienna's premier visor hat maker.
    Do you know if there was any connection to the distributor (W. Slama) named in your hat?
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

I don't want to bother the other members with pictures of my civil hats, but I welcome te occasion to document them - if you send me a private message with an email address where to send them to, I can send you the pics taken of 4 of my derbys. It will take a bit longer to take photos of the other hats, but if you are interested...
    The Habig-Melone with the Salzburg reference (my hometown) is wonderful!
    If you need information about Salzburg hatters you might get it here:
    https://www.stadt-salzburg.at/intern...hiv_332262.htm
    don't know if iformation is free/if they do research on request or if you have to do it yourself.
    Don't know if you know this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DXrrMVryw
    or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSHo2QCEEEk (first of three parts)
    or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_ZiwSqE24
    or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0JP4OS46c
    or this, yiddish in Vienna, a gem in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdWQfrsvaM see also here: http://www.szaszi.com/de/index.htm
    and many more.

Should you ever do a houseboat tour on the Canal du Midi in the south of France (which I did when the times were better for me) don't miss this in Le Somail (found it by accident at the time): Musée - vidéo dailymotion and: http://www.certiferme.com/blog/artic...u-chapeau.html

I suppose, too you know Hut Braun in Teisendorf, Bavaria (still in business - producing nice hats) without homepage or other new media presence - imagine this in the 21rst century!
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-13-2015 at 10:41 PM.

?

Just one, couldn't resist. Not as mint as the Melone (I used to wear my hats or they are from flea markets and thus worn), but same maker, same distribrutor:
    On looking through my hats found my old black Ita and my Blum (price-tag says RM 8,10 - compare this to a visor cap!) oh boy, I need a bigger apartment to store all this properly (must nevertheless be more than content to have this one).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat  
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-13-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast