Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

Article about: I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian dress hats. I have a couple examples of this paper label with no company mark. Any help would be appreciated! I was thinking at first EMS migh

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Just one, couldn't resist. Not as mint as the Melone (I used to wear my hats or they are from flea markets and thus worn), but same maker, same distribrutor:
    On looking through my hats found my old black Ita and my Blum (price-tag says RM 8,10 - compare this to a visor cap!) oh boy, I need a bigger apartment to store all this properly (must nevertheless be more than content to have this one).
    Thanks! It's fantastic! P. & C. Habig Wien made amazing hats! I look forward to seeing your other hats. Is ok to post this hat on my site? I promote the current companies / makers but nothing can match the old ones!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat
    P
    Many

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Very nice. I should make a picture of all the hats I have bought in Vienna in the past twenty years.
    I would like to see them if you find time to take photos!

The pictures of the small tags underneath the sweat bands, I think, are for the price list and inventory and such.

You find them in party and military caps, too, and they are still used, for instance, by Oberwaelder in Wien, which has branches on the Kaertnerstrasse and Mariahilferstrasse.

The civil headwear is a good adjunct to the military headwear, too, as these things show the quality of manufacture as well as the techniques.

Context is everything and we enjoy as much of it as we can find, especially from smart, observant people with lots of empirical data.
    The paper labels usually have the company name or initials, color, size, block type, model, ect. The problem is with the generic hats the paper label is usually missing the company information (see the ones I posted). Sometimes the retail shop will write the price on the paper label. P. & C. Habig Wien actually included production year in one of the numeric codes which is rare.

I am very much into finding information on the old German and Austrian hat companies especially the old hat production processes. As I mentioned I am really into old Austrian and German Velour dress hats like since 1930s Mayser (this is the pinnacle of hat making).

Breiter in Munich makes no military headwear. I buy things there when I am in Munich, and they are phasing out the Trachten and traditional Bavarian things in favor of globalized junk as found everywhere else.
    It is quite sad.
    As I mentioned I have many old hats that were sold by and made for Breiter. As far as I know their felt hat making was on a small scale. They mostly sold the famous brand names of the time. This old Velour might have been made (not the felt) by their shop.

Breiter - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Breiter H

What is sad is J. Zehme München Rathaus closed. Replaced by Prada! I also have many old hats from J. Zehme.

Aus nach 178 Jahren in der City: Hutmacher raus - Prada rein! - München - Abendzeitung München

Old Mayser Melone made for Johann Zehme München Rathaus.

Mayser Hutfabrik - Page 7 - German Hat Companies - Invision Power Board

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Johann Hückel und Söhne made tropical pith helmets during the war.
    My friend has a large box which once contained 10 of them:
    I was aware that they made Pith Helmets but I don't have any (need to find one). I believe TONAK continued to make them. I have most of the JHS pocket mirrors (only missing one that I am aware of).

Very nice material. We do not see these things here, but I find it all very interesting for the needed context.

It is really a shame that the era of the gentleman's hat has passed, be it fedora, derby, or pork-pie.
    I really would have enjoyed wearing one back in my big-city days in the midwest (practical, too).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat
    Quote by habigmann View Post
    The paper labels usually have the company name or initials, color, size, block type, model, ect. The problem is with the generic hats the paper label is usually missing the company information (see the ones I posted). Sometimes the retail shop will write the price on the paper label. P. & C. Habig Wien actually included production year in one of the numeric codes which is rare.

I am very much into finding information on the old German and Austrian hat companies especially the old hat production processes. As I mentioned I am really into old Austrian and German Velour dress hats like since 1930s Mayser (this is the pinnacle of hat making).

Here is such a label in an SS peaked cap.

?

Beautiful hats.

I like vintage American made Stetsons myself.

?

Quote by habigmann View Post
    Thanks! It's fantastic! P. & C. Habig Wien made amazing hats! I look forward to seeing your other hats. Is ok to post this hat on my site? I promote the current companies / makers but nothing can match the old ones!
    Sure you can post the pictures, glad that there are people who appreciate old hats!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast