Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

German north africa Cap

Article about: Hello Any idea what type of cap does he wear? i added picture Yaniv.

Default Re: German north africa Cap

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, yes it has had the soutach removed and guess what colour it was? Panzer pink!

Here is the thread I wrote 2 years ago about my cap which shows it in more detail:

DAK Tropical Feldmutze

Cheers, Ade.
    Pink, the best to have IMO.

Jerry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German north africa Cap
    P
    Many

These are great looking caps !

When I was in art school ( '77-'78 ) a guy had one that he used
    to wear. It was tan in colour, and he had taken the eagle insignia off !

Tried several times to purchase it from him, with no luck...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Team,
    I'd like to add a couple of comments here that could be useful?
    In todays collecting terminology 'we' tend to use 'M' this or that - 'M43' tunic for example - which is rather wrong as that pattern tunic was produced - and worn in combat - in 1942. In the case of the afrikamutze I believe Ade is correct - to a point. Later m40 caps cannot be termed 'afrikamutze' as they were never there or intended for use in Afrika. Similarly these caps went to Russia as early as 1942...should we call them ruskimutze? I doubt it.
    So, I will continue with m40 as this was the date of 1st manufacture for all m40 patterns, of which there are at least five known types - not including insignia application types.
    My other point is that early caps come in all shades, and not necessarily darker by any means, and certainly not a standard olive colour. When the rush to produce m40's began in late 1940 all types of twill colours were used - it was not until early 1941 that a standardization began to present itself as bolts of specifically manufactured twill were delivered to contractors - of which there were hundreds....
    Here are a couple of examples of early produced caps, dating between 1940 and 1943.
    Regards to All!
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German north africa Cap   German north africa Cap  

German north africa Cap   German north africa Cap  

Hi Mark, thanks for the input and showing those superb caps.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Adrian,
    I meant to reply that your m40 is pure 'top shelf'. The removed soutache will be a period alteration by the soldier who wore it, following regulations set down in 1942 (and not strictly adhered to) so you have a cap with service history, which for me, is unbeatable.
    With Respect,
    Mark.

?

It's always a pleasure to see Mark's collection of tropical and DAK items.

Some period colour images for reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German north africa Cap   German north africa Cap  

?

Ben,
    Wonderful photos! The image from 'Time' is one I had not seen before in a series I would suspect. Here is a more left-hand view of the same guys being taken in Tunisia in 1943, (one soldier wearing a turtle neck tropical sweater which is of interest as I have one in 'The sandpit'.) Anyone notice the guy with the fieldmade camo billed cap?!
    Ben - You also have one of the scarcest tropical caps in existance which I am in awe of, so Thank You for the kind words.
    Regards,
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German north africa Cap  

?

Quote by NZMark View Post
    Anyone notice the guy with the fieldmade camo billed cap?!
    Wow, now this is interesting because I just thought it was a shadow or trick of the light. However I have seen another photo that shows a similar cap but of course, I can't find it now. I will look again.

BTW, thanks for the compliments about the cap I have. To think I got it from ebay for a few hundred dollars is one of my more lucky moments!

?

Ben,
    You have to win sometimes!
    In regards to the fieldmade cap - no doubt in my mind - now that there are two photos from differing angles confirming the pattern is there and not just abstract shadow or staining...
    Mark

?

Whilst I'm looking through my photo database, check out these of M40's with Luft Eagles, both continental blue backed ones to boot!

I would sell my own Mother to own the first one!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German north africa Cap  
    Attached Images Attached Images German north africa Cap 

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast