Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gray SS Officer Schirmutze

Article about: This is an example of a schirmutze obtained through the SS Kleiderkasse. It has a very simple lining without sweatshield. The chin cord buttons are RZM marked. This cap was one of two discov

Default Gray SS Officer Schirmutze

This is an example of a schirmutze obtained through the SS Kleiderkasse. It has a very simple lining without sweatshield. The chin cord buttons are RZM marked. This cap was one of two discovered about 25 years ago in Austria along with the owner's Totenkopf tunic and mantel. All showed little wear and were likely left at home to be worn on leave. The group was split up many years ago with the tunic and one cap going one way and the mantel and the other cap going the other way.Gray SS Officer SchirmutzeGray SS Officer SchirmutzeGray SS Officer Schirmutze
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gray SS Officer Schirmutze
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gray SS Officer Schirmutze

Nice piece Bob!

Very nice visor Bob. I like how the only marking is the size - '56'.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

That's a very beautifull visor Bob!

Cheers
    Francesco

A magnificent piece

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Holy cow !!

?

Now, here is a question that has puzzled me.

A certain number (thousands?) of these kleiderkasse hats were made in this pattern and without the celluloid shield.
    Is there any reference within official RZM publications that may mention production in this fashion? A long shot I know.

Very handsome piece. I have never found the specification for these caps, but I am sure the sweat shield was left out for reasons of economy and thrift in the cheapening of these items. You also see army caps without the sweat shield, as well.

The 1936 specifications for NSDAP and SA and so on make clear that a cello shield is to be attached, and such is also described in the cap making book from 1935 I own. However, by the height of the war, the rationalization of uniform making was the norm.