Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Headgear from Tirpitz

Article about: Headgear from Tirpitz. This was found on the wreck of the Tirpitz a year ago.

Default Re: Headgear from Tirpitz

Well, if you don't want to believe it, then fine, but it's actually the truth, I'll try to get a few pictures up tomorrow of a KM sailor tie that was recovered from the Tirpitz
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Headgear from Tirpitz
    P
    Many

It just cant be, cloth in sea water. It would destroy the fabric and remove the golden colours of the insignia. It is impossible that it could have been in the water for 70 yes and look like it was made yesterday. If all the metal insignia is not original wouldn't this just make it another plain navy cap. I would like to believe it survived the tirpitz but in this condition i think not.

Morris

?

I saw footage of a German wreck in the baring sea, I think it was there, somewhere cold anyway! But there were still uniforms hanging inside lockers in that wreck...

could you post a link ?

Over 800 men went down with the Tirpitz, I know that bones are still found today often scattered on the beach where they have been left by members of the diving public who have been searching the wreck area for souvenirs. This is unfortunately allowed by the Norwegian government, just imagine that being allowed here or in the States.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If this is true, perhaps we should begin storing all of our SS tunics, caps and other uniform pieces in sea water, oil and diesel fuel...it seems to be the finest textile preserver known to man...Apparently such things can be perfectly preserved indefinitely with this method.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    could you post a link ?
    I think it's the U-534 that was salvaged from the Kattegat in the early 90's and now resides (in pieces) at Birkenhead.

Merseyside's U Boat - U-534
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The artifact recovered still look very dirty, not in the condition of the cap. No way
    Morris

Crikey Morris, 2 minutes? You read that PDQ!

Ned i have seen pictures of the sub before, i was more interested in the state of the items inside.
    Morris

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast