Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap

Article about: Hi, just showing this Heer overseas cap, it will be my first when it arrives. Hope it's not the start of a new addiction! Best regards, Paul

?

Default Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap

Hi, just showing this Heer overseas cap, it will be my first when it arrives.

Hope it's not the start of a new addiction!

Best regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap   Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap  

Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap   Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap
    P
    Many

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap   Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap  

?

The cap is 1941 made and has what appears to be a transitional insignia combination (subdued eagle with an earlier dark green backed roundel). I trawled through quite a few period images and the subdued eagles are of course hard to spot!

Some soldiers in these pictures may have this combination, the closer shot is the most obvious (lower picture, NCO on left with cigarette), the men in line perhaps the second from the front, the larger group perhaps the man on the right and one or two others? I suspect that older pattern insignia was simply used up rather than discarded?

I have seen another example of this maker on another Forum with the same stamp. According to one website:-

http://www.rijo.homepage.t-online.de...JU_gewerbe.pdf

the firm:- " M Mertes Nachf. GmbH "

was Jewish owned. His name was not obvious in the firm's name, perhaps it was taken over/ seized by the German government and continued to operate? I have not found a clear reference to the owner's fate.

Regards, Paul

Giving full credit for the images - they are from this superb Norwegian website that shows pictures from the occupation of Norway:- Home - BILDER TATT AV TYSKE SOLDATER I NORGE 1940 - 1945

The direct links:-

Infanteri Regiment 345 - 196 Infanteri Divisjon/Grenadier-Regiment 345 - 199 Infanteri Divisjon - HE130610-671 - BILDER TATT AV TYSKE SOLDATER I NORGE 1940 - 1945

Infanteri Regiment 345 - 196 Infanteri Divisjon/Grenadier-Regiment 345 - 199 Infanteri Divisjon - HE130610-140 - BILDER TATT AV TYSKE SOLDATER I NORGE 1940 - 1945

Artillerie-Abteilung 662 - 702. Infanterie-Division (I./Artillerie-Regiment 702) - art-reg133 - BILDER TATT AV TYSKE SOLDATER I NORGE 1940 - 1945

I recommend it as an excellent resource!

Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap  
    Last edited by PaulW; 06-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Jan
    ?

I love the wear to the front of the cap A very nice one!

Best, Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap 

?

The firm " M Mertes Nachf. GmbH " is named as Jewish owned in the year 1930 in this website:-

http://www.rijo.homepage.t-online.de...JU_gewerbe.pdf

with the address Brunnengasse 44, Nurnberg.

The address still exists today but is no longer manufacturing caps or clothing.

?

Quote by Jan View Post
    I love the wear to the front of the cap A very nice one!

Best, Jan
    Thank-you Jan!

?

Digging around at the history of this manufacturer it seems that the Nachf. in the name "M Mertes Nachf. GmbH" stands for Nachfolger (Successor), so I suspect that means that the company was bought out by the following owner who kept the name for continuity, this is obviously a common business practice.

Going from the document above (Jewish businesses in Nurnberg in 1930) it seems that the owner might have been Max Fleischmann and possibly also his Grandfather Max Hecht. Earlier a reference is made to "M & L Fleischmann", L was his wife's initial for Lucy (and Hecht his mother's Maiden name). Some links reference this:-

Max Fleischmann (1898 - 1969) - Genealogy
    Max Hecht (deceased) - Genealogy

According to this genealogy website Max and his wife Lucy survived the war, but Max's father died in German captivity in 1943.

A little history behind the things we collect.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Pionier EM M34 type overseas cap  

Nice score !! They don't come nicer than this
    D.

Very nice!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

... and a nice, uncommon branch of service (with regard to soutache).

Of course it’s just the start of an addiction!
    You know that.

But it’s a lovely start, so that’s okay.

Well done,
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast