Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying 4 hats

Article about: Hello all, Im new to the forum and recently came across some old German military stuff after a reletive passed away. He was in the european theater during the period in and around D-day. He

Default Help identifying 4 hats

Hello all, Im new to the forum and recently came across some old German military stuff after a reletive passed away. He was in the european theater during the period in and around D-day. He left all sorts of treasures ill post a photobucket link to all the other stuff here.

German Militaria pictures by khoward82 - Photobucket

Ill try and put the right things in the right forum, so here are 4 hats, all of which I believe to be German (but you guys are the real experts, you tell me!)

Im not quite sure how much of this stuff I want to keep, maybe a few items, but I would also be willing to entertain any offer someone makes. Im between jobs right now so my desire to keep some of these items is likely to be outweighed by my desire to eat!

My favorite item of them all, seems to be a cold weather luftwaffe cap from what i have found on here... seems to be in amazing condition, very soft!

This cap seems to have the emblems just sort of tacked to it with a thread... dont know what that means.

Some sort of dress cap, seems like its in pretty good shape although the rigid band around the inside is a little worn.

A flight cap, with "DA" scratched on one earpiece

Any information about these items you might have, let me know! Im especially curious about the cold weather one as i havent seen one nicer in my searches here and around the internet. Its my favorite piece out of all the items I got.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying 4 hats
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Help identifying 4 hats

I won't speak to the authenticity of these items, because if they are they could valuable. I will however say that better, more detailed photos in natural light will be needed.

photos of what specifically? If you have any requests ill be happy to try and get some better shots, but im afraid my camera isn't quite the macro-machine.

?

#1 Luftwaffe winter field cap. Looks to be in good shape.
    #2 Luftwaffe side cap
    #3 Early low level political leaders (Gau-blue piped) visor. The insignia is wrong, it's a winged wreath for a luft enlisted man's visor hat. It should have a political eagle on top and a simple cockade where the current wreath is. A clear photo of the interior would help but it looks like a nice hat.

?

I'm no expert on cloth headgear, but most of the experts on here want multi-angle views and will need close-ups of the stitching. In addition, photos of the interiors of each cap is a must as well as clear closeups of any labels or writing.

You were on the right path with the photos you were taking, but what is key is that the pictures be clearer and in natural light.

Then again, there are those on here who will take one look at the photos you have taken and can come to immidiate conclusion! And it asstonishes me everytime!

I can tell you that all are Luftwaffe. The first being a winter cap, second an M40 side cap, the third a crusher style visor cap (I believe this is luftwaffe judging by the cockade - still new at this) and the fourth a leather flight helmet. Others will however be able to provide more details.

Quote by ErichK View Post
    #3 Early low level political leaders (Gau-blue piped) visor. The insignia is wrong, it's a winged wreath for a luft enlisted man's visor hat. It should have a political eagle on top and a simple cockade where the current wreath is. A clear photo of the interior would help but it looks like a nice hat.
    Erich, I believe you mean Ort, not Gau? I can only imagine why someone would put a Luftwaffe insignia on a political cap. Perhaps the cap had no insignia and the relative had a loose Luftwaffe badge so he just decided to stick it on there. At any rate, it's an NSDAP ortsgruppenleiter's cap with a Luftwaffe badge attached, as Erich alluded to.

?

Yes, of course - Orts level. Thanks for the correction

So the emblem on the hat is not supposed to be there?

Here are some more detailed pictures as promised. Any more requests, let me know

Correct. It needs to be removed. GI's would often add insignia not knowing what should really be there.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum! Please upload pics directly and not use links, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast