Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Here comes the Cavalry!

Article about: werg

?

WELHFklfHWEF
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Here comes the Cavalry!
    P
    Many

?

QWFef
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2014 at 12:56 AM.

?

Ben, I'm no expert on the nobility, but I believe that a Freiherr, or Baron, would likely use a cypher and non-royal crown to designate his position, and possessions.
    Needless to say, there is no guarantee that either cap was owned by Freiherr von Podewils, but that cypher & crown are for someone from the heriditary nobility.

BobS

?

Safafasdff

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Thanks Bob, I'm a bit confused though. What's the difference between a Royal Crown and a non-Royal Crown?
    Well, at least in the British nobility, the various dukes, earls, marquesses, barons, etc., usually use some form of a crown to designate themselves. the design being distinct from the crown of the reigning sovereign.
    I know that there exist ducal crowns; not 100% sure about the other ranks of nobility without some research.
    Methinks that this all harkens back to medieval heraldry, where knights & other higher nobility used various heraldic symbols to identify themselves, initially in battle.
    Almost forgot; I know that the various non-royal dukes that attended the last British coronation in 1953, wore ducal crowns, as distinct from that worn by the new Queen. Again, not sure if other, lower ranked nobles wore one as well.

BobS

?

I understand that the correct English term is coronet rather than crown. Translated from the German version of Wikipedia:

Adelskrone

The coronet is a nine-pointed crown for the earldom , a seven-pointed crown for the baron and a five-pointed crown for the non-titled nobility . Since the modern nobility crowns are only Helmzierde of Heraldry . The coronet is the lowest level of rank crowns and is also used by Prince and Princesses worn.
    The shape of the coronet consists of a squat with pearls and precious stones gold ring , which is provided at the top with eight tines of which five are visible. Of these, the middle and the outer petals are formed like, while the others wear beads. In Bavaria and Württemberg , the leaves were often replaced by beads.

Adelskrone

?

Asdvdasvdsv

Do use this source, as well.

almanachdegotha.org

or this one....

https://www.facebook.com/Almanachdesaxegotha

The thingy in the cap is the personal heraldic monogram of the owner.
    The other piece, though, is that these monograms are also stuck by creeps into real hats, but you can tell if the imprint is old.

Happy hats. The field cap is a real gem and you will make it in a brighter one yet still.

?

asDVDAS|D|DVGv

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast