Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

How to preserve valuable cap

Article about: Hi everyone, I have secured a fantastic SS officer visor cap and I was wondering just that... how should I preserve it from humidity, dust and such? One of my main concerns is humidity as at

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well....there goes my suggestion out the window LoL....
    Don't feel bad Michael, Asterperious IS a director & conservator at the Tuscon air museum after all!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to preserve valuable cap
    P
    Many

Quote by TWS View Post
    I use the vacuum cleaner with nozzle attachment (wipe it off and make sure it's clean after those household chores!). And I keep small vented containers - some homemade from cell phone and card stock jewelry boxes - in the bins that I have hats, etc. in. That way I don't let the moth balls come in direct contact with the items they are protecting. I also keep some hanging in closets with my uniforms.

Attachment 1228645
    '
    Good idea.
    The melting moth balls are known to stain the wool over time. I used to keep them in the pockets of my tunics only

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well....there goes my suggestion out the window LoL....
    I don't see any problem with a ziploc as long as you use silica gel etc.

Problem is...the OP wants to display the hat. Boxes & bags are fine for storage...but to display, I would get the de-humidifier & place a pack of moth balls under the visor on a shelf.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Problem is...the OP wants to display the hat. Boxes & bags are fine for storage...but to display, I would get the de-humidifier & place a pack of moth balls under the visor on a shelf.
    Gotcha!....

?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Nothing I am saying here is personal against anyone - just conveying best practices in hopes I can be helpful.

Actually, and not to be too pedantic, the moth larvae do not get attracted to the wool per se, but rather the residual proteins, oils, fats and other human secretions that get embedded in the wool. They eat the proteins etc. and happen to ingest the wool because the fibres are saturated with what they want to eat. Clean wool is unattractive to moth larvae. Now, in many cases it is nearly impossible for us to clean every crevice where a moth might get to. But in general they like dark, stable humid conditions to gestate. Like in ziploc bags in the closet.....So monitor understand their life cycles and it is easy to manage. Vacuum the seams, do several freeze thaw cycles below 30C for three weeks - warm to over zero for a week, re-freeeze etc. if you are concerned. Dry cleaning is as a rule not a great idea for vintage fabrics. If you get a break out you can place the affect item in a sealed plastic bin with a number of naphthalene (mothballs) in a perforated container and leave it for several weeks. It will kill larvae and unless deeply embedded, kill unhatched eggs as well.
    I really don't agree with this. The moths want the protein in the wool, which is hair. They will happily eat brand new wool which has never been worn, and will eschew synthetic fibres which are sodden with human oil and grease. They will go for any natural fibre, to include silk and even rayon when there is nothing else around. Also, and any TR collector who's really looked will have observed this, they prefer different colours and weave over others. Certain dyes are unappetizing to them, and certain weaves are softer and easier for them to eat, such as felted wool...

Thank you very much to everyone who helped me over the past few days. There is for sure enough material here to help me make the right decision.

I've had further confirmation that the cap is good. I will show you guys as soon as I get it!

Kind regards,
    MG.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3