Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was wondering if anyone could identify this cap, real or fake?

Article about: I recently inherited this cap from my grandfather and I was wondering if anyone could help identify it. He was stationed there post war and bought it from a peddler. I don't have any records

There is no sure way of knowing without provenance. Handling the hat might give you a "feel" for originality...that's about all one has to work with.
    I always liked these. Was my first visor hat back in early 70's. Think it cost me $15 from an antique shop in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Also bought a black SS kepi with no insignia or chinstrap, but stitch marks from the missing RZM tag for $20.

Anyway..the OP looks right to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I was wondering if anyone could identify this cap, real or fake?
    P
    Many

?

Yes, thats what I’m saying.... the fakes and adulterated were well underway in the 70’s.

Robt.

MAP
    ?

Quote by RGD51 View Post
    Yes, thats what I’m saying.... the fakes and adulterated were well underway in the 70’s.

Robt.
    They were underway in '45 too!

That said, as this cap from the OP is directly handed down from his grandfather who obtained it in Germany right after the war, I seriously doubt it was "adulterated". Not dismissing this fine piece but it's just a common fire police hat. Not an SS visor or something exotic.

So given the wear and the provenance (assuming the story is correct) I have no doubts that it is not a wartime example. Just my Spidey senses giving me this feeling.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    They were underway in '45 too!

That said, as this cap from the OP is directly handed down from his grandfather who obtained it in Germany right after the war, I seriously doubt it was "adulterated". Not dismissing this fine piece but it's just a common fire police hat. Not an SS visor or something exotic.

So given the wear and the provenance (assuming the story is correct) I have no doubts that it is not a wartime example. Just my Spidey senses giving me this feeling.
    The OP posted this on another site and was asked to bring it here since you guys are so knowledgable. According to that post it was purchased by his Grandfather in 1950. It would be nice to see if there are any other holes under the badge.

MAP
    ?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    The OP posted this on another site and was asked to bring it here since you guys are so knowledgable. According to that post it was purchased by his Grandfather in 1950. It would be nice to see if there are any other holes under the badge.
    Thanks! So more to the story I was under the assumption is was immediately after the war. So, yes checking under the hood would be helpful.

5 years is enough time for it to be doctored up. But I'm still optimistic it is wartime given the wear and tear. But checking for any other holes will be important. That said, if there are multiple extra holes there is also always the possibility that it started as a wartime visor, then converted for post war use, then "restored" back to wartime configuration....we really won't know.

The most important point is what Stonemint noted.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Personal I would like it either way, if it was one of the few made just post war for a fire unit or a war period post war badge and then rebadged, it carries a very cool history of that turbulent period just after the war. It would effect the price if being sold but if it came from my grandfather I wouldn't be worrying about that at all.

MAP
    ?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Personal I would like it either way, if it was one of the few made just post war for a fire unit or a war period post war badge and then rebadged, it carries a very cool history of that turbulent period just after the war. It would effect the price if being sold but if it came from my grandfather I wouldn't be worrying about that at all.
    It's all about the history that make these items unique

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2