Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book

Article about: This cap has always intrigued me, I think most collectors would dismiss it is a fantasy piece, but I think it stands a good chance of being wartime made. I would love to hear what others thi

Default An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book

This cap has always intrigued me, I think most collectors would dismiss it is a fantasy piece, but I think it stands a good chance
    of being wartime made. I would love to hear what others think of this one. I have no idea where it is these days, maybe some one
    here is the owner, it would be great to see more photos of it....

The book 'German Headgear In World war II' was published by Schiffer in 1997, this white top is found on pages 232 and 233.

Looking forward to hearing some more thoughts on it....

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book   An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book  

An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book   An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book  

An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An interesting Luftwaffe white top published in a Schiffer book
    P
    Many

Is that an actual "White" in color? It looks a pale greenish gold to Me.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Is that an actual "White" in color? It looks a pale greenish gold to Me.
    Definitely white William. :-)

MAP
    ?

I don't claim to be an expert and know just enough to spot the obvious errors. But I'm not seeing anything in its construction that sticks out as being bad. Materials look correct and craftsmanship appears top notch. The "parts" seem to add up.

But one that obviously needs to be approached with caution and one I would never trust buying just on my limited knowledge.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have often wondered about this cap since I first saw it in the book. To date, it is the only color-piped LW visor I have seen
    (LW regulations proscribed piping around the crown).
    Further, instead of having LW blue-gray wool trim (below the bottom ring of piping), it is also white.
    Last but not least, wool white-tops are very rare.

That all being said, the construction looks right, but I would need to see it in person to be definitive.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

But do consider the means and methods of the German noble class in war, they do odd things because they can and not all of the are always officers. My boss is a 'von' aristocrat and was a boy in Westphalia during the war being 9 at the end. He has vivid stories about all manner of things: being strafed by P-47's, exploring downed B-17's in local fields etc. But his father was a pre-war Army Captain (parts of the family were anti-nazi, but still loyal Germans and in some notable ways - eg. some other family members were night fighter and panzer aces). In the summer of '39 he resigned his commission knowing war was imminent and made a deal with the local Luftwaffe recruiter to become the mess sergeant at the airfield he offered to establish on the family estate. It later became a relief airfield and became popular with nightfighter pilots owing to the abundance of fresh eggs and meat served for breakfast in a bucolic location. Many like him had the means and motivation to do things their own way because social and financial conditions permitted it and they valued their luxury's. The Germans -even at war were fashionistas. If this cap conforms to expected construction techniques and available materials then however odd it is likely a bona fide of the era.