Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Visor Cap Features

Article about: This thread will chronicle some of the more interesting visor cap features that one does not see every day. Globus was a retailer, but whomever made the hat for them added a cork stirndruckf

BTW, their logo always reminded me of this one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Visor Cap Features  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting Visor Cap Features 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting Visor Cap Features
    P
    Many

?

Saw the cap on ebay.de, too. Very interesting, indeed. To my knowledge Gollhofer was only distributor. There was a Gollhofer shop in Getreidegasse next to Mozart's birthplace (Hagenauerplatz, see cap logo) and another one in the borough of Salzburg-Lehen which no longer exist, the only still existing shop is at Mirabellplatz see here: Gollhofer Moden, Herren- und Damenbekleidung, Salzburg they don't sell uniforms or caps any longer (I do remember they sold caps for the Salzburger Verkehrsbetriebe [public transport company] up to the 80s, see below). I don't know whether there is a connection to the Gollhofer firm of Innsbruck of which TR caps turn up every now and then and whether the Innsbruck Gollhofer produced caps themselves.

It would be interesting to know who actually made this cap with these eyelets.

Interesting also for the historians among you that the Gollhofer family bought the "Paschinger Schlössl" on Kapuzinerberg from the Zweig family after Stefan Zweig had left Austria before the "Anschluß". The Gollhofers still own the place by the way. For those who don't know Stefan Zweig: he was quite a famous author (Schachnovelle is one of the most famous of his works).

As to the first cap: many hatters (and presumably cap vendors, too) just put in such stuff to make a cap/a hat fit when it is too loose (why the owner of the cap bought a cap that didn't fit we'll never know, perhaps the vendor just didn't have the correct size in stock).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Visor Cap Features  
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 04-19-2015 at 10:55 AM.

?

Nice visor
    first time see with these fabrik holes
    normally all holes for insignia pins were made directly in the wool

?

Hi piki,

In MHO the eyelets are not for the insignia (you can see the holes of the pins just above the chinstrap) but presumably for ventilation.

Meanwhile I do believe that perhaps the wearer himself made the eyelets or had them made - if they had been factory-made they would have been in line (if my eyesight doesn't betray me they are not only not in line, they are also inside out - the black lacquered part is in the inside of the cap, the blank metal side on the outside which looks like a homemade job)
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 04-20-2015 at 06:58 AM.

?

Oh yes, Alkero. They struck me for their way of sewing in the swetshield with a zig-zag stich (apart from Alkero only Litto did so to my knowlege in original TR caps), a habit which seems not to have been followed in this case, though. The Deutsche Leder sweatband and the Rosshaarverarbeitung are quite unusual for Alkero, too. In the 1990s Alkero was one of the few firms that still produced caps in Germany and I owe them the insight to the "regular oval top panel" that was (and still is) used for the production of elegant uniform caps.