MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just a word for our Cap Mod

Article about: Dear Collectors, I would like to tell one thing THANKS "Stonemint" for your knowledges, your time here, your lot of threads about the fakes and historicals descriptions on the Germ

I too have gained quite a bit of knowledge from you and am still learning what to watch for.
    Again thank you for all the time you put in helping us understand this mine field we call hat collecting.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just a word for our Cap Mod
    P
    Many

Gentlemans, MANY THANKS for Stonemint !

I am fairly new here since in ventured over to collecting visors/caps and I also echo everyone comments that stonemint is a wealth of knowledge and have enjoyed reading his research Thanks.

Mario

Guys, thanks for the kudos. As a young teenager collecting back in the 1970's I was doing this all by myself, by trial and error--which meant getting burned by Altestes, Jankes & BRD poseurs.

Unfortunately, back then (and even into the 80's) there was a "veil of secrecy" and the vast majority of dealers did not want to clue a young collector in to what was fake and real, and what to look for (basically, because they were trying to divest me of my meager, hard-earned $). They would always tell me "buy the books", which was worthless advice, as there were only 2 headgear books out back then, and they still did not tell you how to identify fake from real.

Back in the day I used to literally photograph every visor at shows that I could find with an old 110 Instamatic camera (which made for lousy picture quality), and I would then tape the photographs to legal pads with identifying information and what concerned me about an item--such was the state of "technology" back then. (I wish I had kept those, but I think they got tossed by my mother sometime after I had moved out of the house!)

People ask why I "give" secrets away. The bottom line is that the fakers, as good as they are, are not up to par with the Muetzenmachers of the Third Reich, as it is basically a lost art. But my primary reason is the sanctity of the hobby--I do not want any level of collector to make the same mistakes I did, for all that does is sour them on the hobby and cause them to leave it. Furthermore, the youth of today are literally the future of our hobby, and I want them to feel the same excitement I did when I was their age when obtaining the genuine article (and not the sinking, stomach-wrenching feeling of being taken by a fake.)

As you know, I only collect visors. Why? simply because imho, they are the most attractive piece of headgear ever developed by any country, any era. The quality is stunning, as is the endless variety of makers, styles, quality, and fabrics. These hats are truly works of art, in that they are made by hand.

I have also been questioned as to why I collect minty visors. Part of that is a reaction to my early days, when all I could afford were "beaters" with mothing, rotting sweatbands, dangling visors, etc. But the major reason is that I do not really celebrate the man that wore the hat, or the organisation it is from--what I celebrate is the hand that made it, and the hat most purely reflects that in an unworn condition. (it also keeps me from buying up everything in sight, as I was once wont to do in my younger days.)

I do fear a loss of this information, and that 50-75-100 years ago everything we have learned will be either forgotten, lost, or simply not cared about (especially in an age of mass technology). So, by posting these threads, (hopefully) the information will be retained for future generations.

I would love to write a book, but I work in a profession that does not allow me the time to do so (and it seems even collecting visors is always a work in progress). However, I just turned the big 5-0 last week, so I have placed at least getting some sort of draft manuscript out on my "bucket list" (which someone told me becomes a "f**k-it" list the older you get!). But for now I will just continue to add to the threads I have started (and start some new ones).

Obviously, all I have learned in the past 10 years has not been in isolation, and I thank these forums and the people that also so readily contribute their knowledge and information, which assists us all in keeping this hobby "pure."

Lastly, I would like to thank all of you for turning this forum into the pre-eminent Cloth Headgear Forum on the web. Everyone has demonstrated not only a willingness to share, but a great deal of courtesy and respect for each other, something that is rarely found on forums dealing with the Third Reich.

I am both happy and proud to consider you all not only my colleagues, but friends as well.
    Last edited by stonemint; 09-06-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Well you sure have helped me more then once, and for that I thank you! and IMO you have already written a book, which is all within here

+10!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Stoney it has been some time, but you have helped me also out on some caps that would have had me.
    So I also Thank you Sir

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2