Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor cap

Article about: I just acquired this cap at the SOS . It appears to be virtually unworn, although with a nice patina on the insignia & chinstrap. Cap is not as floppy as many KM caps, but examples I hav

?

Default Kreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor cap

I just acquired this cap at the SOS . It appears to be virtually unworn, although with a nice patina on the insignia & chinstrap.
    Cap is not as floppy as many KM caps, but examples I have seen for sale, and photos in reference books show both floppy and non-floppy versions.
    Comments welcome.

BobSKreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor capKreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor capKreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor capKreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor cap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kreigsmarine Administration Officer's visor cap
    P
    Many

?

The black woven hat band isn't the normal type. I'm guessing by the looks of it that it is fixed and non removable. Can you tell what the band internal stiffener is made from ?- usually white or black treated buckram, or celluloid on issue caps, but card on some private purchase caps.

The type of woven hat band and the smaller brim are reminiscent of a style I think I have seen on period Wasserschutzpolizei caps.

?

Quote by Redcap View Post
    The black woven hat band isn't the normal type. I'm guessing by the looks of it that it is fixed and non removable. Can you tell what the band internal stiffener is made from ?- usually white or black treated buckram, or celluloid on issue caps, but card on some private purchase caps.

The type of woven hat band and the smaller brim are reminiscent of a style I think I have seen on period Wasserschutzpolizei caps.
    Yes, band is fixed. Cap that is listed on "The Ruptured Duck" and which I had in hand at the SOS. has no ribbed band at all, just smooth wool.
    I will check on stiffener when I get home, although I am reluctant to fold over the sweatband; it is very stiff, and may rip.

BobS

?

Any KM cap with non-standard construction has to be treated very carefully ! So many early Bundesmarine caps have been "back-converted" to Kriegsmarine and can be difficult to tell. The are several features of this one that are definitely non-standard. Personally, I have always stuck with textbook official issue caps when it comes to KM.

The one that Bill Shea has would have had the standard removable mohair band , but this is missing. (Not difficult to replace). The cockade/oakleaves on the band is original but not the correct one for this cap as it is on dark green not dark blue backing. In fact it is for a field grey KM Beamte officers cap which had the same dark green felted wool band as Army officer caps, so the dark green backing on the cockade/oakleaves would match.

The other cap that Bill has shows the correct style mohair band that I would expect to see on a blue KM Beamte cap. You can clearly see the different style of weave. I have to say that the fixed band style on yours is a type widely used on postwar Bundesmarine caps.

?

For what it's worth, I bought this cap from along time collector and authority, who I believe is one of the most respected men in the hobby. That , of course, may have no bearing on the cap's authenticity.
    I guess I would question why someone would go to the trouble of faking a KM Admin cap, when the other KM caps are so more valuable?
    I believe that I have acquired enough knowledge to know if a cap has been messed with, and this one has not. The seller said he believed it was a lower quality cap than many he had seen, and likely late war in manufacture.
    I won't check the lining since the cap band is so stiff, and likely to rip if I try to fold it over.
    It looks as if opinions will vary on this cap, at best. Thanks for your insight.

BobS

?

I made the decision to return the cap to the seller, who graciously allowed me to exchange it for another cap that I had been considering.
    THis cap had just too many concerns for me to keep it.
    Thanks for all your helpful comments.
    I now have a "no-questions" cavalry officer's visor in exchange.

BobS

Bob, I had no doubt that the hat itself was TR era, given the maker. However, no way to tell whether the insignia was original to the cap w/o getting "under the hood" (which would have torn the sweatband, as you stated). At the very least, if real, it would be an anomaly, and tough for re-sell.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Bob, I had no doubt that the hat itself was TR era, given the maker. However, no way to tell whether the insignia was original to the cap w/o getting "under the hood" (which would have torn the sweatband, as you stated). At the very least, if real, it would be an anomaly, and tough for re-sell.
    Chris,
    What really concerned me was the cap band, which indeed did not look like the standard KM band, after close inspection.
    I was fortunate to exchange it for a nice cavalry officer's cap; it was actually a toss up between the two, but I figured I would never get a KM cap, even admin, for the price I paid.
    Yeah, that sweatband was really stiff, and would have ripped for sure.

BobS

?

A wise decision to return it.