Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap

Article about: I've wanted a KM visor cap with one of these straps ever since I first saw one on a U-Boat officers cap that was donated to the U-Boat Archive in Germany and was delighted to get this one. S

?

Default Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap

I've wanted a KM visor cap with one of these straps ever since I first saw one on a U-Boat officers cap that was donated to the U-Boat Archive in Germany and was delighted to get this one. So far I have seen examples of this rare type of chinstrap on blue KM visor caps for NCO, junior Officer and senior Officer as well as field grey KM NCO caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap

Here is an example that was posted over on GMIC a while back, courtesy "Langemarck".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap  

?

Note the Norwegian manufacturers details inside, for Osvald Hordes "Norsk Fabrikat" of Oslo, a known manufacturer of Kriegsmarine uniform items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Schirmmütze with rare chinstrap  

From the photos, it looks good.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Mine however is of 100% textbook German manufacture so my guess is that the owner served in Norway, saw this type of strap and added one to his cap as a personal preference.

Are you sure the strap hasn't been replaced?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Well, by definition, it almost certainly had to have been. Its unlikely that this type of strap would be fitted on a German manufactured cap. The cap I believe would have started like with the standard common KM style strap. The strap it has however is a definite wartime strap, made from typical mid/late war "ersatz" leather, most likely made from compressed paper. Its rather brittle and although you can't see it from the images had lots of surface crazing to the laquered finish.