Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"

Article about: I have been looking for one of these for at least the last 10 years, and finally found one (that met my demanding standards)--it is an Officer's visor for the 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin V

Default At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"

I have been looking for one of these for at least the last 10 years, and finally found one (that met my demanding standards)--it is an Officer's visor for the 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2 (Danzig/Langfuhr) (aka LHR2). This is the hat that is the "opa" of the SS visor cap (and the "Danziger" skull design was utilized for the Panzermanner on their collar tabs).

LHR2 visors are much more rare than their LHR1 counterparts (the ones with the red band), and are probably the most faked of all WW1 visors. The ones you do encounter have not held up so well after 100+ years, but this one was an exception, and due to rarity, quality, & condition, it filled that void in my collection that had existed for so long.

This hat just oozes quality, and is made to the highest standards possible--it was owned by a member of the nobility, and was surely not inexpensive at the time.

Just the best the "belle epoque" had to offer:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"
    P
    Many

The body of the hat is a fine doeskin wool, and the band is black velvet for officers (NCO's wore a black wool band, just like the SS).

The white behind the skull is a common personal affectation of the era (you also see it during the TR on KR5 visors).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"   At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"  

Side views. Most WW1 caps have a stiffener on all 4 points of the cap at the seams, as this one does.
    The original cap spring is still in place, which has helped it keep it's drum-tight form all these years:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"   At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"  

The interior is all-white, to include the sweatband and visor underside.
    The lining is genuine silk, which has slightly yellowed due to wear and age:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"  

Lastly, what appears to be a royal cypher (can't make it out) and it also appears it had an initial tag on it (lost to time):

& the "patron saint" of LHR2, Princess Victoria Luise:

At Last, Found My "Holy Grail"  

I see your cunning plan mate, tempted as I am to start chasing Imperial era caps, I will resist temptation.

Seriously, what a stunner, that is cap eye candy at its best. Congratulations !

Best wishes

Bob

Just amazing..living up to the mint name with this one..such a beautiful visor..it really does look like an SS forerunner

This is simply stunning.

You were indeed to correct to hold off until an item such as this came along. I've seen similar, but not of the quality of this one.

Cheers
    Tim

Awesome hat-and I'm guessing that it wasn't cheap! Beautiful, in any case. Any chance of figuring out who it belonged to? (Victoria Luise is not too shabby either! Must have thrilled the troops to have her visit!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast