Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe but what...?

Article about: i am no expert on LW caps and dont claim to be but have looked through lots of images and not seen one quite like this in terms of the 'cheap' way it seems made... I have had this since arou

Default Luftwaffe but what...?

i am no expert on LW caps and dont claim to be but have looked through lots of images and not seen one quite like this in terms of the 'cheap' way it seems made...

I have had this since around 1985, it came in with a load of RAF items that were all fine, and a number of crashed German aircraft pieces. The story went that the bits had been picked up around Essex during the war and the cap was believed to have been acquired the same way. I was hoping someone might be able to add anything at all as to its possible background.

Its very, very salty, I can find no makers name, the inner red 'silk' lining has torn away in places and reveals underneath an almost hessian type material. It certainly has the look of 'been there and seen it' but know some of the expert knowledge on here may well be able to add something.

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe but what...?   Luftwaffe but what...?  

Luftwaffe but what...?   Luftwaffe but what...?  

Luftwaffe but what...?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe but what...?
    P
    Many

imo.I like it officers cap.

I like it too!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

And I also like it.

Thanks guys, yes its a cool looking piece, does the colour of piping tell us anything or that the badges are embroidered rather than metal or do they have no relevance to its history?

Thanks again

Steve

MAP
    ?

Is the cap material even wool? It does not look like tricot, doeskin or eskimo. It looks more like a cotton type weave.

I've never seen this before.

The leather sweatband looks awfully dark. I know there were different variations but I haven't seen one this dark.

Any thoughts on my observations?

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Steve Newman View Post
    Thanks guys, yes its a cool looking piece, does the colour of piping tell us anything or that the badges are embroidered rather than metal or do they have no relevance to its history?

Thanks again

Steve

White piping = Herman Goering division??? ( I think )
    Embroidered + 1st pattern eagle = early war
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks Dan, early war would fit with the Essex pick up story and the bits of aircraft that came with it but dont like to get to taken in with a story I cannot myself vouch for with any certainty.

Steve

The piping is gold, I have seen that on Generals hats but clearly in this case it designates something else presumably?

Again thanks for the lessons appreciate it

Steve

Gold?? -looked white on my screen. Gold is Generals rank but the quality of the cloth isn't what I would expect to see for top brass.
    Not too many generals were flying ( Galland was a notable exception )
    Still, that's the limit of my knowledge - best to let the cap gurus have a crack at it to be safe, I'm likely to balls it up!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast