Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe EM schirmmutze

Article about: I'm leaning towards post war as well. The leg is bent, not actually broken. Bullion insignia would have been nice, although it would have been out of my price range if it was! One day I'll u

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe EM Visor Cap

I'm leaning towards post war as well. The leg is bent, not actually broken. Bullion insignia would have been nice, although it would have been out of my price range if it was! One day I'll upgrade this to an officers visor. We all have to start out somewhere!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe EM schirmmutze
    P
    Many

?

I think it did have a wire cap cord, if you look at the bottom edge just above the peak you will see a silvery white line which could mean that the alumnium wire could have transfered to the cap, all in all i would be sorely tempted to try and reshape the leg but its a bravery test, it could snap, it might not, its a risky practise and you would need to see what condition the metal is in, or you could apply another one, after all it was replaced once before

All I see are moth nips in the area of the eagles wing. There is nothing behind
    the cockade, just the backside of the wreath is showing in the side shot.
    ( BTW - an EM cap would not have embroidered/bullion insignia ! )

A very nice EM 'flying' visor..................!

I would not 'upgrade' this to an officer's visor. It would be worth finding
    original replacments of an EM chin strap and aluminum eagle to restore
    this great cap. It shouldn't cost much to replace them !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Again, good eye Dave! Definite remnants of a wire cap cord. Were I to add a wire cap cord in lieu of leather, would this be an appropriate configuration, or were officers visor caps required to have bullion insignia? I assume if a promotion took place, this wouldn't be uncommon.

As for the swas, I took the leap of faith earlier and did realign it. Looks a hell of a lot better!

NCO's and those of officer aspirant rank could wear officers chin cords and insignia on their caps

?

Thanks, Steve! To clarify, when I said upgrade, I meant eventually purchase an officers visor cap. I would never change anything about this visor other than the addition of an appropriate chin cord.

?

Im really pleased that the leg came good, it was risky but sometimes its worth it, got another photo with the repair , it must look a whole lot better

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Thanks, Steve! To clarify, when I said upgrade, I meant eventually purchase an officers visor cap. I would never change anything about this visor other than the addition of an appropriate chin cord.
    Ok, I see. I thought you meant alter the cap to 'Officer' configuration !
    If you did, besides a bullion cockade/wreath and eagle, you would also
    need to replace the side buttons !

I have a soft spot for this type of cap, as it is the same my very first visor !

I would only replace the eagle, unless it can be bent back into it's original
    position, and a black chinstrap. If 'Militariamania' has a spare Luftwaffe
    EM strap, you should go for it...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Im really pleased that the leg came good, it was risky but sometimes its worth it, got another photo with the repair , it must look a whole lot better
    Yes, it would be interesting to see how it came out after you bent it back !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Bob, Thanks for the input. I'll email you tomorrow regarding the chin cord.

Steve, I would never alter history. I don't have the skill for one, and even if I did I wouldn't have the heart to. As long as this cap is in my posession, it will remain as is.

Dave, thanks again. While it doesn't look as new as the day it was made, I'm pleased with the outcome as well. To the untrained eye, or at a quick glance, it isn't immidiately noticeable. Unless at some point the swas falls off, I'll display it as is. Below are updated photos.

Thanks again all for your comments and input. Much appreciated!

Luftwaffe EM schirmmutze
    Luftwaffe EM schirmmutze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast