Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe visor cap questions

Article about: Hey guys and gals, A friend just obtained this Luftwaffe visor cap. The pics were taken with using my camera phone so please excuse the quality. Neither of us are collectors in this area and

Default Luftwaffe visor cap questions

Hey guys and gals,

A friend just obtained this Luftwaffe visor cap. The pics were taken with using my camera phone so please excuse the quality. Neither of us are collectors in this area and all I can offer is that it’s an NCO / enlisted rank piece, with the added astute observation that there are some slight condition issues. All parts including the original visor are present, so all-in-all an ideal candidate for a restoration which should result in a decent cap.

The inside of the sweat band has some inks stamps that my friend suspects might be the name of the airfield where this Mr. “Lenz” may have served. Any thoughts on the significance of these? Hoping to learn something so any and all comments on this cap gratefully acknowledged.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe visor cap questions
    P
    Many

The hat looks to be ok but the eagle looks to be a tunic eagle from the black Mechanics overalls

Yes - as Krad says above, the eagle should be an aluminum
    type, and I agree - a good candidate for restoration.
    It will look excellent when it is complete.........
    Regards,

Steve.

A bout of stitching and a replacement of the eagle with a pin and it should be a nice cap! I like the Boelcke unit marking.
    Kampfgeschwader 27 “Boelcke” was a medium weight bomber wing. Oddly enough, the unit was formed n May 1,1939, so this cap was made in 1937 and was later unit marked when the owner was assigned to Boelcke in 1939. Interesting.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks guys. Wagriff, my friend will especially appreciate your clarification of the unit and added info re. the sweatband markings. It appears he was on the right track. Many thanks again.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

it could be very nice.

The owner of the cap very much appreciates the information given and thanks you all. He wanted to clarify that the one ink stamp that is not fully impressed on the inside of the sweatband states: " 5 Flugh. Betr. Kamp. " Perhaps someone can provide more information on what exactly this stamp means.

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    The owner of the cap very much appreciates the information given and thanks you all. He wanted to clarify that the one ink stamp that is not fully impressed on the inside of the sweatband states: " 5 Flugh. Betr. Kamp. " Perhaps someone can provide more information on what exactly this stamp means.

Cheers,
    Tony
    FBK = Flughafen Betriebs Kompanie.

The Flughafenbetriebskompanie´s (FBK) primary duty was repair and service for all the aircraft of a specific unit. The FBK belonged to the various Gruppen of the heavier units, incl. Kampfgeschwader, Sturzkampfgeschwader, Zerstörergeschwader, and various reconnaissance and transport units.

Normally fully motorised, consisted of 150 men, and was divided into 4 platoons (züge) - 3 Betriebszüge and 1 Werkstattzug, and would normally follow the Gruppe around to the various bases.

Initially most Gruppen had 2 FBK's, but this was changed to one each, after 1.43.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your very thorough reply

Regards,
    Tony