Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M34 side hat opinions and stamp help

Article about: I recently picked up this M 34 side hat and would like some opinions and comments on it. The hat and eagle seems to be a bit salty, faded and worn but the hat is in great shape. I would like

?

Default M34 side hat opinions and stamp help

I recently picked up this M 34 side hat and would like some opinions and comments on it. The hat and eagle seems to be a bit salty, faded and worn but the hat is in great shape. I would like some thoughts as to the stamp inside. It appears to be made in 1937 with the manufacturers stamp, but I am unsure as to the other numbers. Is the T. 1. 55 and the Roman numeral VII the unit? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

M34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 side hat opinions and stamp help
    P
    Many

Hello,
    It is a Feldmütze 34/35 with both first pattern insignia and that had its soutache removed by regulation. You should try to have a look under the flaps where the holes are to see it there are remains of the soutache, as knowing the branch of service of such an early piece is nice.
    Personnaly, i would like to see the inside air vents...
    Apparently the maker is the famous Robert Lubstein. It looks like there are two sizes stamped here, 53 and 55...maybe a reworked piece....I have never seen markings such as T.1 or VII in a Feldmütze before, but i haven't seen them all. As the roman numeral is placed near the date 1937, i would suggest that it could be the month (here 7th month of the year).
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks JPhilip. Very interesting. I don't have the feldmutze in hand. But I will check it ASAP to see if there is any trace of the soutache. Thanks for the info and I will let you know soon.

?

Default Underside of the flaps

Hi JPhilip, As you see from the photos, I checked the underside of the flaps , inside, outside, around the seams and I eyelets/ holes. I could find no traces of of a former soutache. Yes, It would be interesting to find what branch it may have belonged at one time. I agree, with the 2 size stamps... it may have been reworked?

M34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp helpM34 side hat opinions and stamp help

Hello,
    I was expecting to see brass air vents/eyelets but here they're mixed with another metal apparently. I do have to say that that's a premiere for me...first time i see this...so far i had seen all brass or all zinc/iron fittings...and your eyelets on the inside are different...one counter rivet is like the petals of a flower, but the other one is not...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Yes, I can see the corrosion/rust on one and the other is kind of clear.

?

Do you think the eyelet/fitting may have been mismatched during a rework?

I have a similar cap that I also believe to be reworked. The inside of mine is double size stamped with a soutach added during the rework and also has two different air vents. I believe that some caps which were damaged in combat may have been sent back to a factory, reworked, and then reissued. This would explain the double size stamps, as well as two different air vents which could have been replaced due to damage. This of course is just a theory and not concrete.

?

Thanks for the info. An interesting theory. Does your cap have anything that may resembled, T. 1. and Roman Numerals?

No, all mine has is the original makers stamp (Dated 1939) and size stamp, and then the additional size stamp. No roman numerals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast