Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)

Article about: Hi, grateful for thoughts on this F. Weissbach (Glauchau) E41 (Erfurt Depot) tropical 'DAK' cap with removed (Artillery) soutache as per the July 1942 regulations. It seems to conform to the

?

Default M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)

Hi, grateful for thoughts on this F. Weissbach (Glauchau) E41 (Erfurt Depot) tropical 'DAK' cap with removed (Artillery) soutache as per the July 1942 regulations.

It seems to conform to the various criteria typical for this particular maker (I think), including the garish zig-zag eagle application (and eagle type), with straight machine stitched cockade, stitch lines (type) under the peak, long stitches used in the cap's construction, light coloured thread, low profile, rivets and rivet colour etc

Here are two other examples of this maker type for comparison:-

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=3778

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=3815

although somewhat more desireable with intact soutaches!

I was helped with the above manufacturer criteria by these studies by Mike T:-

The Afrikamütze Database; A Guide to the Identification, Context and Interpretation of the German Army Tropical Peaked Cap, 1940–43, Part 1: The Authentic Cap. Artefact Services Research Papers 8/1 : Mike Seager Thomas : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The Afrikamütze Database; A Guide to the Identification, Context and Interpretation of the German Army Tropical Peaked Cap, 1940–43, Part 2: The Fake. Artefact Services Research Papers 8/2 : Mike Seager Thomas : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The Afrikamütze Database; A Guide to the Identification, Context and Interpretation of the German Army Tropical Peaked Cap, 1940–43. References & Appendices. Artefact Services Research Papers 8/3 : Mike Seager Thomas : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

https://archive.org/details/asrp8afr...alappendix2019

Well worth a read btw.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)   M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  

M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)   M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  

M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)   M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  

Attached Images Attached Images M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41) 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)
    P
    Many

?

This picture shows (highlighted) just a trace of the remaining red thread where the Artillery soutache was when it was originally manufactured.

Also, here is another example by the same maker, although an 'Overseas' cap, but showing a number of similar manufacturing traits:-

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=4035
    Attached Images Attached Images M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41) 

?

I came across a German website with some factory history and some pictures relating to this manufacturer:-

Artefakte: Glauchau in Sachsen - Mitteldeutschland - Deutsches Reich - DDR - Germany history urbex vintage

Approximate English translation:-

"Founded in 1923 as the Felix Weissbach weaving mill, the company was known as Weissbach & Co. Seidenweberei Glauchau since the summer of 1936 and was a subsidiary of Max Funke GmbH in Meerane. After decommissioning the textile production in 1942, armament production began for the Sachsenwerk AG Radeberg and Voigt & Haeffner AG Frankfurt / Main. In February 1946, the private property was confiscated and nationalized. In the summer of 1950 the company was called VEB Silka silk weaving Glauchau and then belongs to the decommissioning at the turn of the year 1954/55 to the VEB textile works unit Glauchau. On April 1, 1970, the formation of the VEB textile works Palla Glauchau by merger of the national companies VEB textile works unit Glauchau, VEB Textilveredlungswerke Glauchau and VEB Palla woolen and silk weaving Meerane."

It's interesting that it is stated here that the Weissbach factory 'decommissioned textile production' in 1942, and that I think that Weissbach tropical caps are mainly seen with 1941 (and 1940?) dates, but not 1942?

I think these pictures pre-date 2012 (and there was 'talk' of demolition, so I'm not sure if the building still exists.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)   M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  

M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - F. Weissbach, Glauchau (E41)  

?

Finally some contemporary printed materials relating to this manufacturer. Some from WW1 period diaries (1914 & 1915), some Rechnungs (one from 1933 showing that they were making caps for the SA at that point), and one from 1941.

Also a magazine for hat manufacturers dating from 1925 with an advert for Felix Weissbach hats, and also another well known tropical cap manufacturer, Alfred Valet, well in about another 15 years that is !

Regards, Paul

Paul, thanks so much for the pics of the Fewegla factory--although in poor condition, it has to be one of the last great hat factories still standing (at least as of 2012).
    Not only a lost industry, but a lost art.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

That's a great looking hat, presumably an un-issued find. And the associated posts on the factory equally interesting. The size of these company buildings even in the pre-war period a reminder of how large the Hatter industry was, and since the 1960's much diminished, since wearing of hats went out of fashion.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    That's a great looking hat, presumably an un-issued find. And the associated posts on the factory equally interesting. The size of these company buildings even in the pre-war period a reminder of how large the Hatter industry was, and since the 1960's much diminished, since wearing of hats went out of fashion.
    The death of the civilian hat industry can basically be traced to a single event--JFK's inauguration, where he broke precedent and went hatless while giving his inaugural address.
    Personally, I always liked the fedora look, and could have used one while commuting to/from downtown Chicago during those cold winter months.....

?

Stonemint / Anderson - Thank-you for taking a look.

Fewegla - Felix Weissbach (of) Glauchau - I have learn't something today!

Yes, what a pity about the building, if it can no longer make things, it could at least be converted into a very nice set of apartments - better than being replaced with more concrete and glass monstrosities....

Anderson - ref condition, the seller describes it as showing "evidence of minor wear use". It's in the UK but the seller is currently at the Max show in the USA so I will have to wait a little while to receive it, will have a look ref condition when I have it in hand and will take some more pictures.

Best regards, Paul

Quote by PaulW View Post
    Stonemint / Anderson - Thank-you for taking a look.

Fewegla - Felix Weissbach (of) Glauchau - I have learn't something today!

Yes, what a pity about the building, if it can no longer make things, it could at least be converted into a very nice set of apartments - better than being replaced with more concrete and glass monstrosities....

Anderson - ref condition, the seller describes it as showing "evidence of minor wear use". It's in the UK but the seller is currently at the Max show in the USA so I will have to wait a little while to receive it, will have a look ref condition when I have it in hand and will take some more pictures.

Best regards, Paul
    believe it or not, they converted the old Erel factory into high-end condos!

?

Hi, have now received the cap and am adding a few pictures of my own. Having had the cap in hand I agree with the seller's description "evidence of minor wear/ use". I think it was issued and worn, albeit briefly.

Regarding the soutache you can see some small nicks where it was removed, on this maker it went into the seam between the cap body and the bill. Anything is possible but I think it is unlikely that a collector would do this and more likely (IMHO !) that this was done during the war, i.e indicating that the cap was 'in service' around July 1942 and it was either removed at a supply Depot/ unit quartermaster or by the soldier it was issued to. It may not have seen much service after that!

The above (highly recommended) study by Mike T does not indicate that these caps were made in 1940, the six examples in the study all have 1941 Depot acceptance dates and another experienced DAK/ tropical collector has indicated that he knows of no 1940 examples but that he believes there are 1942 dated examples in collections.

I have since found a local history archive in Saxony:-

Archivwesen in Sachsen - Bestandeubersicht

that indicates that the textile operation was wound down (& converted to armaments production) specifically between June and November 1942:-

Archivwesen in Sachsen - Bestandeubersicht

It's possible that the factory may only have been producing tropical caps for 18 months or less? Having said that it was a large factory and could no doubt have produced a considerable number in that time.

Regarding the cockade type the Mike T study (see above) states that of the 6 caps he studied all are 1941 dated. Three have the lighter coloured cockade seen on this cap (he designates them type "CB1") that was seen in very small numbers on 1940 dated caps (i.e other makers), but is normally associated with 1941 caps. The other three in his study have a type with a more 'subdued' background thought to have been introduced later in 1941.

The cap is also constructed with the 'wide' ribbed twill cotton material seen in all 6 caps that he studied.

(One front shot is without flash.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast