Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M43 Afrika Cap

Article about: Hello, I would like to get some more information on this cap i have acquired.

?

Sorry the original image was driving crazy was getting a sore neck from looking at it.
    The Tropen Mutzen Adler looks to have been hastily applied or reapplied at some time in it's life hard to tell from the images is the cockade machine or hand stitched to the cap ?
    Edit: I think it looks to be hand stitched

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Afrika Cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Afrika Cap
    P
    Many

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Sorry the original image was driving crazy was getting a sore neck from looking at it.
    The Tropen Mutzen Adler looks to have been hastily applied or reapplied at some time in it's life hard to tell from the images is the cockade machine or hand stitched to the cap ?

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post

Regards Mark K
    Hi Mark,

Hand stitching was used to apply insignia to German tropical caps, but is something that is more often seen on early caps, but not exclusively.

It does look to be re applied and looks more worn than the rest of the cap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry I have seen examples go both ways with these as well machine applied cockades hand stitched Adlers or all machine application or all hand stitching and I do agree the Adler looks to have inconsistent wear compared to the rest of the cap .
    I cant get rid of a nagging feeling I have concerning this cap though the grommet's and some of the stitching are just not sitting right with me I do hope I am mistaken but we are all here to learn .

Regards Mark K

The grommets and stamp are feasible to me but, the sweatband has me wondering because it's not made right, in my opinion. It lacks the lower edge stiffener strip, sometimes seen in white or black crinoline, that actually keeps the hat from shrinking....one of the reasons they put them in. That being said, I like the cap more than dislike and will give it a benefit of doubt until I can prove otherwise. Has anyone seen this makers cap posted on another forum?.....it looks so familiar but I can't place it. Ottmar Reich Lindenburg.

Did some poking about on other forums. Ralph Heinz comments on a DAK thread that Ottmar Reich is indeed a legit maker, though less prolific, and made these in the '42-43 period. Further poking also reveals that all sweatbands didn't necessarily have the crinoline. So I'll be standing down on my somewhat esoteric critique. I've also been a proponent of "why reproduce mid to late period caps?".... as they don't really fetch the big bucks and they are labor intensive. Have come to accept that they will reproduce anything.

Well, I knew I had seen one somewhere....here'tis.

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Did some poking about on other forums. Ralph Heinz comments on a DAK thread that Ottmar Reich is indeed a legit maker, though less prolific, and made these in the '42-43 period. Further poking also reveals that all sweatbands didn't necessarily have the crinoline. So I'll be standing down on my somewhat esoteric critique. I've also been a proponent of "why reproduce mid to late period caps?".... as they don't really fetch the big bucks and they are labor intensive. Have come to accept that they will reproduce anything.
    Good bit of sleuth work Doctor Watson you have broken the case I have learned a few things I did not know in regards to manufactures and construction of said caps.

Regards Mark K

thanks alot for the responses guys. So im taking it that it is not a reproduction?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Well, I knew I had seen one somewhere....here'tis.
    Very strange insignia application on that one Nigel. It looks hand done by someone trying to make it look machine done?

Where are the images from if I may ask?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast