Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M43 Afrika Cap

Article about: Hello, I would like to get some more information on this cap i have acquired.

i found the same cap on another website.
    The Collector's Guild

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Afrika Cap
    P
    Many

The Ralph Heinz info plus the other Ottmar Reich hat came from WAF. The 2 hats we're discussing show discrepancies in the application of rosette and eagle but it certainly doesn't change the base cap....they appear identical. A small firm may have used machines and hand work to accomplish that task. That one rosette looks like the thread tension was not set properly on the machine or, as you say, hand done to simulate machine done....pretty sloppy work. The first cap looks better to me.

Quote by SenorRojer View Post
    i found the same cap on another website.
    The Collector's Guild
    The same type of cap, but not maker marked as far as I can see and the insignia is all machine applied and the grommets are a different size and suffer from zinc pest which is quite common on tropical caps, mine has it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    The Ralph Heinz info plus the other Ottmar Reich hat came from WAF. The 2 hats we're discussing show discrepancies in the application of rosette and eagle but it certainly doesn't change the base cap....they appear identical. A small firm may have used machines and hand work to accomplish that task. That one rosette looks like the thread tension was not set properly on the machine or, as you say, hand done to simulate machine done....pretty sloppy work. The first cap looks better to me.
    The thread starter and the one you show Nigel have both been messed with IMHO if they are not actually iffy. I no longer collect or study such items and my opinion on this matter is largely out of date I suspect and I am unable to post a definitive opinion on either of the 43 dated caps, but certainly if I was looking to buy a none soutached tropenmutze with a sweatband it would be the example on the guild rather than the other two.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Would agree a bit as the Ottmar Reich, mid to late period product, is different but, his tailoring (nice profile) and quality seem pleasing to the eye and everything checks out given the possibility of post war buggering but that is just what we have to live with these days. Certainly would balk at prices on CG website. Someone nailed that '41 Frankenstein Schlesische....a nice resto project. Soutache will be easy to find but an early rosette a quest in itself....so scarce.

?

Like Jerry, I've not really kept up to date on these caps and the latest fakes on the market. However, the subject cap doesn't strike me as being fake, it looks ok to me and I'd give it a cautious thumbs up.

Having said that, I wouldn't choose to own it if I had the choice.

Here are a couple of photos of my later example with the sweatband, maker is Greiling & Co, Felina Frankfurt, Frankfurt a. m.
    I prefer the machined on insignia...

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Afrika Cap   M43 Afrika Cap  

M43 Afrika Cap   M43 Afrika Cap  

M43 Afrika Cap   M43 Afrika Cap  

Cool example, and what most consider textbook. The O. Reich version, to me, is a bit of an anomaly in construction on the inside. Note the lack of the upper, second row of stitching up from the band and also the missing strip of crinoline stiffener to the inside of the band itself....quite visible on your band. I owned an RF numbered, late period cap that had a combo of machine stitched eagle and hand stitched cockade. With piece work it was all a matter of how the production line was set up.

?

Hi Guys.
    I like both the late caps seen in this thread, but the second has definitely had the insignia re-applied.
    I've owned a 1944 dated m40 which included both manufacturers full name and RB number stamps, so a 1943 example with name is not a stretch - I've owned named 1943 examples.
    The second m40 posted here has clearly had the insignia re-sewn in a poor attempt to replicate machine stitching. The first all hand sewn example is more believable to me in style, thread and method.
    Bob's Greiling cap is superb - I've owed it's twin and they are very well made caps.
    The collector's Guild cap is not the same maker as the two posted here.
    Regards,
    Mark
    NZ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3