Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...

Article about: The blacklight is a tool, nothing more. Don't get fooled into thinking it is a "magic wand" for divining original from fake. Basically, if something does glow it is worth looking a

Default Re: M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...

The blacklight is a tool, nothing more.

Don't get fooled into thinking it is a "magic wand" for divining original from fake. Basically, if something does glow it is worth looking at more closely. But a no glow result does not make it right either. There are many variables to take into account: washing can make items glow etc.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...
    P
    Many

Every component material found in a German field cap or uniform can be had today in the form of original surplus if one is willing to seek it out and pay the price. The wool, thread, hardware, liner materials, insignia, everything. There are items on todays market made from 100% original, pre-May 1945, wartime materials that were sewn together last month.

The devil is absolutely in the details.

Searching the net a week or so back, I saw a huge piece of original Tan & Water cammo cloth for sale for example.

Quote by excalibr View Post
    So basically the blacklight test is a joke! If it is not reliable. Hell, I have a Colonel Artillery tunic here too and I took a blacklight to it and the collar tabs, shoulder boards, stitching, etc did not glow, but I guess that does not mean it is original. I probably got screwed on that tunic too! I think I will just quit the hobby. I'm already out over $1000 on fake shit that is worthless....

Hello,
    Open a thread for this tunic and you'll know if that's a legit item...
    What is worthless is trying to collect such items without proper knowledge. No disrespect Excalibr, but it's better to learn a bit before purchasing $1000 items...the market and some collection are full of junk because fakers try to screw people and some people get screwed because of a lack of knowledge. With a basic knowledge and search on Einheitsfeldmützen thru the Internet, you would know about these "latvian" caps and you would know also that M43 caps were the same for all EM. No branch of service on M43s.
    Show us your tunic mate !
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Ah the magic blacklite. Way to much has been attributed to its ability to divine authenticty.
    If a fabrik has been cleaned with a soap with phosperous content the whole thing will glow under a blacklite. The blacklite works with white thread made after 1950 simply because the thread or white material was commercially bleached ( the bleach contained heavy concentrates of phosperous ) for a cleaner looking white. It will also indicate synthetic material.
    Whoa! Wait a minute ?
    Synthetic materials were being made well before the Nazi's took over in Germany. I have an early brownshirt from a vet that has a shoulder board and collar piping that glows like a diamond in a goats butt under a blacklite. I know for a fact the shirt was a ligitimate war trophy. I played with it with the vets son in the 50's. All the kids in the neighborhood would pull out their dads war trophies or uniform parts and play army. I will admit we were a motley looking crew of volunteers at best but we all had a grand time.
    If a blacklite makes you feel comfortable that is fine. BUT it is not a definitive answer as to age of production. Only hands on or well studied knowledge can do that. Even then that is not always infallible. You take your chances.

For comparison here is an image of an eagle just like the one on excalibr's hat. This eagle I found on ScreamnEagles.com It seems to be the same background color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...  

With respect that a totally different colour. The fake is almost bottle green.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please... please, is original?

M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sorry it is indeed a fake.

The insignia is bad for starters.

Moving onto the cap itself:

The ribbed looking weave wool is incorrect and is typically found on this range of fake caps. The correct type of wool will be a reworked shoddy.

Hello, is original? thanks.

The construction is wrong and it lacks the various reinforcements which should be found around the upper edge of the turn up and around the crown.

Get your money back if you possibly can.

Cheers, Ade.

please, is original? thanks.M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...M43 Field Cap---what branch? Info please...

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Every component material found in a German field cap or uniform can be had today in the form of original surplus if one is willing to seek it out and pay the price. The wool, thread, hardware, liner materials, insignia, everything. There are items on todays market made from 100% original, pre-May 1945, wartime materials that were sewn together last month.

The devil is absolutely in the details.

Searching the net a week or so back, I saw a huge piece of original Tan & Water cammo cloth for sale for example.
    Quite right, Wesley's Dad.

I've seen original WWII zeltbahn hand-made into helmet covers that you would
    swear were period items if you had no previous experience with them.

Knowledge is key on a lot of TR stuff these days, and it pays
    to educate yourself...........
    Regards,

Steve.

kc1
    ?

Another clue might be the damage to the liner at the front. On original caps the insignia were applied prior to the liner being put in, hence there will be no sign of stitching through the liner. Fakes seem to be made complete and then the insignia are applied, the liner ends up being stitched through. To over come this there is some 'wear' at the front of the liner which enables the liner to be kept away from the stitching when the fake insignia are attached, increasing its authenticity.
    This applies to tunics and panzer wraps the insignia shouldn't be stitched through the liner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3