Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin Strap

Article about: I recall that the following type of marking was met with mixed opinions. Has anyone found any further information that would further support or dismiss this as an original period marking? CM

?

Default re: Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin Strap

In my experience, the earlier straps are thicker leather and less lacquer!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin Strap
    P
    Many

Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapMarkings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapMarkings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapMarkings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapFor instance.....the earliest black leather chin straps are unmarked. I also do not pry these things apart, either, truth be told. One error and there is no return to the virginal state as it were.

Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapMarkings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapAccording to Wim Saris the RZM/SS stamp on the peak appeared in 1935, whereas the Vom RFSS Befohlene Ausfuehrung regime.....viz: was undertaken in mid 1934, as indicated in the RZM circulars in detail.

Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapThe RZM/SS stamp is widely faked today, of course. However, anyone familiar with the original is not so easily gulled. I enclose an original from a 1935/6 cap, with issue stamps from 1936. I have not looked at the back of the chin strap and have no plans to, either. Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin Strap

?

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the subject. The marking on the chin strap at the beginning of the thread is what I was curious about. The pictured chin strap is from, what I can determine, a genuine item recently listed on the Von Lukacs site. The photos of this piece are convincing and I like the overall look based on what I can see. The chin strap gave me pause and made me take a closer look because, as I had posted initially, there were some mixed feelings about finding this marking on an original item.

This marking is also found on the ersatz leather straps of some of the more sophisticated ground up fakes that have appeared in the last decade or so. Caution has been emphasized on this stamp in the past but I never received a definitive answer concerning authenticity. As of yet, no primary documents of the era have been presented to support or dismiss the general collector opinions of the subject stamp/marking that I am aware of. Arran has, from what I can gather, had above average exposure to genuine material and FB is well acquainted with these items. I appreciate both the opinions and the wealth of information gathered from the years of collecting and study.

Regards,

CMH

?

I wholeheartedly concur with FB regarding the removal of any chin strap, eagle, or "Scull" to search for these silly markings. This is solely a mental exercise to search for truths hidden within these discarded bits of slowly degrading regalia.

Markings on SS Schirmmütze Chin StrapThis document is from the year 1936. It is from the Herstellungsvorschriften d RZM, which itself was a compilation of many things in the circulars.
    Such contained very little on the SS in an explicit way.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-03-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Our Dr. CMH is a pillar of our little community and we celebrate his curiosity. And we expect him to buy more things for his collection as he becomes more prosperous.

Greetings. This thread slipped beneath my radar and answers all my present questions . Thanks to Dr CMH and all others for their contibutions

Less likely to be found on a gray cap.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast