Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 47 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast

Muetzenfabrik

Article about: F.B. Reichenbach is about 10 km (6 miles) away from me. If you want, I'll make a photo of the building. If it is still standing.

Default Re: Muetzenfabrik

The peaked cap with a tall crown was surely but one feature of elegance and splendor in fashion in the early 20th century, which is sorely lacking in the early 21st century, that's for bloody sure. Headwear generally formed an aspect for self expression in an elegant sense that finds no echo in our world.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-31-2011 at 01:35 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Muetzenfabrik
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Often these violations of regulations were later incorporated into regulations just the same
    A fact very much overlooked nowadays by the self proclaimed collectors of just the regalia that adhere strickly to these regulations.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    A fact very much overlooked nowadays by the self proclaimed collectors of just the regalia that adhere strickly to these regulations.
    The other kind of "expert" makes a list based on incomplete data, and then becomes a fundamentalist and dogmatist of the "lessons learned" in his/her list. This is a form of cyber bullying made all or nothing by the dynamics of the internet and its sudden death feature of generalized humiliation and sophomoric ethics with the additional feature of a credulous mob easily manipulated by such on line dogmas and incapable of independent assessment. That such digitalized "lessons learned" have little to do with the actual historical record, subtleties, nuances, contradictions, etc. is of no interest to the fundamentalist and dogmatist, viz the attachment here.....MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikAttachment 192280MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

Reading some of the cap stitch fundamentalist dogma on the other site puts me in mind of this:MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Reading some of the cap stitch fundamentalist dogma on the other site puts me in mind of this:
    Oh dear, I think I must fall into the category of a cap stitch fundamentalist!

Having an understanding of mutzenfabrikation and being able to determine authentic or not sewing is a vital weapon in any cap collectors armoury these days.
    That does entail examining every stitch.
    Attached Images Attached Images Muetzenfabrik 

You know full well that I do not mean you, Ben. You are a craftsman and also historically literate. You figured out a way to read UM that surely would have never occurred to me, though I do it the 20th century way as a 20th century man. My point is that you generalize from more data, versus those who over generalize from too little data, and otherwise misinterpret the data anyway because faith as dogma means more to them than knowledge. You embrace knowledge, as you have ably demonstrated here. You see....

My entry to the effect that the very best caps were made at home by craftsmen or craftswomen, where they likely did not have the full suite of Pfaff sewing machines at hand, however, suggests that certain of the hoary generalizations as manifest and resonate on other sites might be open to reinterpretation in a big way. No one on the other sites has bothered to delve into this aspect, nor has anyone got out this snippet I appended above as concerns the piece work, cottage industry aspect of "...die feinsten Uniformmuetzen..."MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

And, to top it all, not too many people seem to care about the arcane knowledge as had in this thread, but eagerly buy mass produced caps and put a feather in them and call them macaroni as if they were something special, which they were not at all in their time. But what does the truth matter here in an era where every day is a new day, and the loudest cyber thug imposes his will and his version of cosmology on an unwitting crowd?

Ben has done much to make us much smarter. And I should have him fix some of my caps, for which I would pay him handsomely and on time, too.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

Also of irritation to me are grotesque errors of fact, terminology, as well as interpretation which the cyber potentates with feet of clay and minds of straw NEVER REVISE AND LEAVE IN PLACE TO DO HUGE DAMAGE.

?

I was only teasing of course!

I do worry though that we are not engaging as many collectors as we should with this thread.

It's understandable though. To stick your head above the parapet and look beyond the simplistic analogies and theories embedded within this hobby takes mental effort and time, lots of time, which most people who juggle busy modern lives just do not have. This thread is 47 pages long, we probably loose most people at page 5!

It's also understandable that most collectors who have an interest in hats, would just like to better their knowledge of how to determine authentic from fake. That's important of course and should never be ridiculed or belittled no matter what forum they choose to frequent. Without this initial interest, all that we are trying to achieve here is for nothing because no one but ourselves will read it. I do still get many emails a week asking for my help in authenticating or restoring hats. I've yet to get any asking what my impression of Herr Hoffmann was or how do I think the German mutzenindustrie rejuvenated itself or which PFAFF machine was able to sew schirm and schweissleder and paspel with minimum modification and factory down time.

If we are to try and make all this information interesting to anyone else besides ourselves, I think we need a different approach. I've tried in a small way by digitising the text of a few UM articules so that it can be pasted into a translator to at least get a general feeling of what's being said. It's not the proper way to do it, I should be able to read German fraktur but frankly, I don't have the time because horror or all horrors, reading about the German Mutzenindustrie is not the main focus of my life. I'd rather play the drums or go to the pub to be honest and that's what we have to be sympathetic of here when we tend to ridicule others for not wanting to divulge themselves in all the nuances of a dead society and just prefer to collect a few bit of regalia from it because they are aesthetically pleasing.

The more we congratulate ourselves for what we've been able to understand, the more people we loose on the journey.

You are quite right. However, the study of the past is my profession, as you know, and I am a task master with the imperative for self cultivation and improvement as the basis of expertise. Elsewhere the very idea of expertise comes under fire as elitist, or whatever as it poses a threat to dogma and obscurantism proffered by a few to the detriment of the whole. This little fact notwithstanding, you could now take some of these 47 or so pages and chop it up into some headline goals and post it elsewhere. I won't do it, as I prefer to leave the labor in the thing. That is, there is no gain without the self work of figuring it out for one's self without the crutch of the websites. No one has any business being an amateur in the collection of this regalia, since such amateurism will soon end in agony. This generalization especially applies to SS regalia. I do not mean to ridicule anyone save those who have done a lot of damage, in turn, in their ridicule or their systematic misleading of others. Moreover, my bad attitude accumulated over a number of years as a result of others, might I add, which reflects poorly on my patience and character, but which also reflects the horrid state of play on other sites. Much of the cap stitch fairy soap box thing resulted from a lynch mob of dealers, which has not been especially pleasant for anyone. That is, the purported expertise, such as it is, arises from the cyber lynching of dealers (some of whom are plainly crooks, obviously) but such knowledge exists on a sandy foundation in my opinion. To be sure, the dealers did more than fair share to provoke such a blow, but the lynch mob mentality with its mental nooses and snares forms no basis for real understanding. My attitude arose in my disgust at same and out of a desire to separate the search for knowledge from this ugly and grotesque power play typical of the present and its despicable traits.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik
    Also, I am proud of what I have learned and more so of what you have learned, and if people are put off by it, then they have other websites that will make them feel good. I receive private messages each day thanking me for this work, so if some are put off, then I am sorry about it, but there is no compromise with the dictates of historical learning and its rigors. I do not see this all as a hobby, either, but as a very arcane form of our understanding of the past in which these things are sources, they are bits of the past, whose riddles and enigmas cannot be untangled through mental sloppiness and the taking of short cuts. They demand tribute. There is no easily had check list on Wikipedia as to the five chief traits of the German cap, and far less of a short cut to understand the real meaning of these objects at all. If the mentally lazy or easily upturned are deterred by how hard all of this is, they are made easy prey by the fakers and fraudsters who lie in wait for their false hopes and soon to be empty pocket books.

Page 47 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast