Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 50 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast

Muetzenfabrik

Article about: F.B. Reichenbach is about 10 km (6 miles) away from me. If you want, I'll make a photo of the building. If it is still standing.

?

Default Re: Muetzenfabrik

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Fascinating! such a concept is totaly alien to me. We have nothing like that where I come from.
    Your right there Ben, the only thing i used to get was sandwiches packed in a road map, and when i came home my mum used to tie a steak around my neck so the dog would play with me!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Muetzenfabrik
    P
    Many

This object is my memory of my own Einschulung in 1958, at the time of the Berlin crisis, the post Sputnik hysteria, and anxiety about the impact of the H Bomb.....MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

Quote by davejb View Post
    Your right there Ben, the only thing i used to get was sandwiches packed in a road map, and when i came home my mum used to tie a steak around my neck so the dog would play with me!!!
    A novel intervention.

Those blue and yellow signs were ubiquitous at my first school. Of course, by that time they were merely relics. I recall the classroom maps showed a pre-91 eastern bloc as surviving. It was a lower income school that was often overlooked.

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    Those blue and yellow signs were ubiquitous at my first school. Of course, by that time they were merely relics. I recall the classroom maps showed a pre-91 eastern bloc as surviving. It was a lower income school that was often overlooked.
    Even 1989 is now more than past swept up in memory, tradition and history, to say nothing of 1958 or 1938.
    My first school years were highly atomic and thermonuclear, that is for sure.
    It all seems impossibly remote, odd, even quaint.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

Eastern Europe is a place that has never moved in physical space, but its place in political geography shifts as western Europe or central Europe define or redefine themselves. That is, why Prague is eastern Europe, when it is west of Vienna?MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

The above has nothing to do with cap makers, per se, but with the political forces that made the need for caps so great.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

If you look under the heading of Muetzenmacher in Google books some nice things might well intrigue you as they emerge. There is a German analysis of hat making in Philadelphia and New York in the 1860s, whereby the fact leaps up that the city of New York at that time had no more than five thousand (5,000) hat makers, many of whom worked with sewing machines.Muetzenfabrik

If such a city as New York had this many hat makers in the middle of the 19th century on a semi mechanized basis, then how many could have had Berlin in the 1920s and 1930s about which the average cap collector who relies on a pretty shaky basis really know about this subject?MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Donnerwetter. Very interesting. Next time I have a long lay over at FRA on the way to the theater, I shall go have a look. Maybe I should get into the cap making business with my book and my few prototypes. I might even finance my social security and medicare that are on the chopping block.

Page 50 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast