Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast

Muetzenfabrik

Article about: F.B. Reichenbach is about 10 km (6 miles) away from me. If you want, I'll make a photo of the building. If it is still standing.

Default Re: Muetzenfabrik

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Unfortunately, any serious study of the Third Reich uniform and textile production industry will unearth uncomfortable facts about the "aryanisation" i.e. theft of established Jewish firms, the huge exploitation of captive populations in places such as the Lodz ghetto which was a city with a long established textile manufacturing base and of course the well documented production facilities in various concentration camps. The more research I conduct, the more shocking statistics and facts come to light.
    For example, most collectors would look at their tropical hats and tunics and not give a second thought as to where they were made, or, just assume that they were made in Germany by the German workforce. Not so in fact. Huge amounts were produced in the occupied territories such as Lodz. Another mistake is to assume that such forced jewish workers had been sent to their deaths long before the war's end. Not so, The Lodz ghetto had production figures peaking in 1944 when more modern uniform construction and time saving machinery had already been introduced which meant that more non skilled workers could be utilised which was the over riding aim of all Third Reich bureaucrats in the wartime years. The lack of skilled workers is evident in every period document I read from the period.

These facts are disturbing of course and maybe we are too close in terms of time to really be able to study them properly. It will probably take at least 2 or 3 more generations to do that without the rawness of human emotion.
    Well said, Ben, and surely an insight reinforced by the work we have all done together to fashion this thread. The point was driven home for me in a fresh way by a close reading of UM and especially the RZM circulars, the latter of which has some pretty hateful ideas connected with deeds.

A group of us here is actually interested in history versus the antiquarian accumulation of fetish objects, which are somehow to make the owner better through the ethical and moral lights of the present. These items are a manifestation of the best and worst of the past, in which the details of the worst can appear in shocking proximity at times when one least expects it.

And, at some deep and profound personal level, our interest is totally irrational, and in my case, a rejection of hula hoops, surf boards, eight track tape players, as well as i phones and apps. Such has also been a life long attempt to understand those around me on both sides of the Atlantic in the age of my parents and grand parents.

The foetid woolens of the mass politics of integral nationalism and total war signify a connection to the most powerful forces of European history, politics, society, economy, and culture, in all their frightening reality. Consumerism aims to remake society in possession of status as well as things of rarity that establish value. I guess we are a form of consumerism, but my desire was always to have a direct connection in order to understand, interpret, grasp and comprehend fundamental truths about ourselves, which, in my youth were everywhere and still a part of most lives. My friends with a background in theology and philosophy have been especially helpful to give me an interdisciplinary perspective on this issue. A real moment of deep insight operated for me last year, when I saw with several hundred mostly east Germans the exhibit on Hitler in Berlin's Zeughaus. The mood among those present and the things themselves in said locale were ever so different from a gun show, a hock shop, a Bender publication, or on these websites. A profound and significant moment unfolded for me in my own life long concern with the flotsam of the III. Reich.

I am especially grateful to Ben, who enabled me to read the RZM circulars, which had been closed to me beforehand. They are a powerful source, as are the SS directives. You cannot get a real sense of the mentality and practices of these organizations without deepening yourself in them, which is certainly not remotely possible with the Schiffer books, that's for bloody sure, to say nothing of a casual reading of stitch fairy on line nostrums or prong wizard expostulations.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-16-2011 at 10:50 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Muetzenfabrik
    P
    Many

?

You are welcome of course and if or when I can obtain the rest of the RZM circulars, you shall be the first to know.

It's very easy to get caught up in the whole buzz of extracting original TR items out from under the noses of the masses of other collectors, let alone dealers that are always on the hunt for them and in most cases, just to make a quick profit.

Lately though, I've honestly been more and more interested in the research and less and less interested in wanting to own this or that item. After all, without any historical study, these are just bits of wool and vulcanfibre, leather and rayon.

In other words, I could tell you a lot about the manufacture of rayon in Poland. The firms involved way back in the 19th century, the amazing fortunes the familes amased, the huge manufacturing buildings they built and how they all got carted off when Germany invaded but most people don't want to hear about that do they?

They just want to hear that their Lubstein cap is the bees knees and how much it's worth when it comes time to sell.

Tell us more about what you have learned about the textiles in the Polish Manchester.

?

I will one day. My shame is not being able to read German but how many can read Polish? which is what most of my research is written in! Luckily my girlfriend can read Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, English and some Italian and French yet the average Englishman hates all Baltic states immigrants because "they're all bloody ignorant aint they!"

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    A hobby horse of mine pops up here as a result of a trans Atlantic life spent where such issues do arise, and a continental European treats these terms differently than some non continentals. One day, if we ever meet on your side of the Atlantic--since I fly over your country frequently ( at about 35,000 feet)--I will explain my take on the issue.
    No need to explain, it is certainly the most natural to me also used in this way. Being from Norway gives me a very good intuitive understanding of German to begin with, I think you would be surprised at how similar these languages (Norwegian and German) are when it comes to syntax and "grammatical logic".

I have now translated the quote (paraphrased by me) in question myself - it truly was clumsy to begin with I must agree - sometimes it is just best to do it oneself if one wants something properly done. Is it better now?

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I will one day. My shame is not being able to read German but how many can read Polish? which is what most of my research is written in! Luckily my girlfriend can read Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, English and some Italian and French yet the average Englishman hates all Baltic states immigrants because "they're all bloody ignorant aint they!"
    The xenophobia abroad in the world today is very irritating, but it is growing.

Quote by KSH View Post
    No need to explain, it is certainly the most natural to me also used in this way. Being from Norway gives me a very good intuitive understanding of German to begin with, I think you would be surprised at how similar these languages (Norwegian and German) are when it comes to syntax and "grammatical logic".

I have now translated the quote (paraphrased by me) in question myself - it truly was clumsy to begin with I must agree - sometimes it is just best to do it oneself if one wants something properly done. Is it better now?

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.
    Please do not misunderstand my comment as reproach. It is a professional conceit of mine, but one of decades. Your aphorism is first rate and will inspire persons of sound mind and character and enrage many more of defective bearing and feeble mind.

KSH
    ?

Please do not misunderstand my comment as reproach. It is a professional conceit of mine, but one of decades. Your aphorism is first rate and will inspire persons of sound mind and character and enrage many more of defective bearing and feeble mind.
    My friend, I did not take it as reproach, rather I took it as welcome constructive criticism from one person to another - your intervention was most apt and I am most obliged.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

thank you and all the best. Is it not rather late in Norway?

KSH
    ?

thank you and all the best. Is it not rather late in Norway?
    Not particularly late yet, 00:43 / 12:43 AM my clock reads. But I will probably be going to bed soon.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast