Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with Schirmmutze adler

Article about: Recently I acquired an entire zollgrenzschutz uniform including a Schirmmutze, which poses a problem. The cap's eagle insignia is incorrect and appears to be a political eagle that is sewn i

Default Need help with Schirmmutze adler

Recently I acquired an entire zollgrenzschutz uniform including a Schirmmutze, which poses a problem. The cap's eagle insignia is incorrect and appears to be a political eagle that is sewn in place with cotton or woolen thread. Can you help answer these questions: 1.) Is it a political eagle and, if so, which kind? 2.) Any ideas as to why an incorrect eagle was worn on this cap? (Someone suggested that when supplies ran short near the end of the war, substitutions were acceptable.) 3.) Would you remove the current eagle and replace it with the correct insignia? Thanks for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with Schirmmutze adler  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help with Schirmmutze adler 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with Schirmmutze adler
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with Schirmmutze adler

As it is sewn in place I would strongly suggest this is a post war collector addition. If it were down to shortages, it would be correctly pinned in place, with no need to sew it on. I don't mess with items as a rule, but I think I would replace this with the regulation Zoll pattern eagle.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Uncle Paul,
    That's an interesting cap you have there.
    1) Yes it is a politcal eagle, probably Hitlerjugend.
    2) The possibilities are endless here as it could have been changed because the owner lost the original,preferred the HJ to the Zoll type, or it could have been done postwar by someone who knew that it should have an eagle but did not what the correct type was and therefore used the first one that came to hand.
    3) If it was mine, I would have a look behind the eagle (carefully) to find out if the insignia is pinned to the cap as if it is pinned in place and also sewn, I think that it would be more likely to have been added by the original wearer who for whatever reason was keen not to lose his cap badge.
    On the other hand if the eagle is just attached by the thread alone because it has no pins, then I personally would remove it and replace it with the correct insignia.
    Hope this helps.

Ade is correct. The eagle is an M-37 political eagle, most commonly worn by the SA and the HJ. I have seen period pics of Zollbeamte with "incorrect" eagles--it happened in every TR uniformed organisation. Could be wartime, or a post-war collector add on.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Many thanks, gents. I hadn't planned on replacing the eagle, but having read your comments I think I will make the change to the correct zoll adler. I appreciate your help. Uncle Paul

What would clinch it being replaced in my mind, would, like Bochmann said, be a lack of intact pins to the reverse.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I checked and there are no pins. Hopefully I can find the right replacement eagle for a good price. I saw one a few years ago going for $30 US. Thanks again for your advice, Ade.