Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?

Article about: by sam1chlt I picked up this beauty for \\$6200 and could not be happier!! It was my 2012 Christmas gift! My one and only for now! The visor sits proudly in my display case and I enjoy it ever

Default Re: New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?

It is a nice cap for sure, and thanks for the info. I'll make clear also that I'm neither to advocating nor decrying its listed price.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?
    P
    Many

?

I may well be in the minority here, but, personally, these A-SS black caps hold no appeal for me , and I continue to be flabbergasted by the absurdly high prices they command. Especially since, at least for enlisted caps, they are not exactly rare.
    I would much rather own the cap of a real soldier, sailor, or airman, not someone who did crowd control at party rallies, or perhaps, performed more heinous duties. For an all black cap, with white piping, I'll much rather have one from Leibhusaren Regt, nr.2.
    There is a sinister aspect to these A-SS caps, which I assume adds to their desirability, but not for me. Perhaps my opinion, and that's all it is, seems simplistic, and baffling to some, but it is what I believe.

BobS

New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?The Prussians said it best, did they not: to each his own.
    I think pre 1914 German regalia is inherently more interesting and compelling than SS material, but each person is free to have his/her own taste. I am not the originator of this thread. I added to it.
    My goal here has been to add knowledge about this material, not to engage in protest against market forces.
    As a matter of historical record, the bulk of the members of the Allgemeine SS went into the Wehrmacht.
    The black cap here was worn by all branches of the SS, not solely the Allgemeine SS.
    Many members of the Allgemeine SS later served in other branches of the SS.
    The appeal of this regalia derives from Nazi propaganda itself, in which men in black uniforms in the years of growth of the regime featured prominently.
    There is also a "scull" fetish, to which I am, myself, not wholly immune, which is a variation of head hunting and derives from some highly primitive impulse. But the death's head is a central feature of central European culture for centuries, and it is no surprise that it was used here for a Nazi purpose, which is repugnant. Yet, this use was derived from military customs.
    Finally, it is also quite untrue to think that the Wehrmacht was, itself, somehow separate from the goals of the NS regime, and members of the Wehrmacht, themselves, for instance, in the Polish campaign as well as the Yugoslav campaign behaved in dishonorable ways. Many German soldiers, of course, retained their soldierly discipline and respect for rule of law, but many did not.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.

New Record Asking Price for a Contract A-SS Visor?see attachment.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6