Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New TR Headgear Book: Exotische

Article about: I just receieved my copy of the new book on Exotic Headgear of the Third Reich, Exotische. It is a large-format hardback book, approximately 9"x12" in size. There are over 325 page

?

Default Re: New TR Headgear Book: Exotische

Here's the link, sir...

Exotische

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New TR Headgear Book:  Exotische
    P
    Many

The book shows promise, surely, though the law center website is confusing. Might I also scold as concerns the title: Exotische refers to what? Die exotischen Muetzen des III Reiches? Such is not the translation of Rare cloth headgear of the III. Reich The title is an adjective, and not a noun. Die Exoten would be the exotics, or th exotic ones; whereas "Exotische" is incomplete. If one claims expertise in German regalia such to publish a book, then please get the title right. This is the problem with Schiffer, I presume, which has no editorial staff worthy of the name. This trend diverges from titles published in continental Europe which set a newer, higher standard no longer generally achieved by the illustrated works published in the US. I write this with sadness, in fact, as surely the examples illustrated have merit, but the text on the website (if it is an indication of the book) is not entirely intelligible, complete or original.

I refer again to our "Muetzenfabrik" thread here and the material it contains....

I do not want to denigrate unfairly the work that goes into the book or a fine collection or collections, but this title is a real show stopper.

Here is an example of recent publications in Europe that put the US presses to shame. And I am a US citizen, in case someone wishes to doubt my love of the father-, mother- or homeland. This is a recent work originally in French now in German on Kriegsmarine uniforms which is fantastic, complete and authoritative.New TR Headgear Book:  Exotische

I also write books for a living and have some familiarity with publishing of various kinds for various markets. I also know this publisher in Berlin and they do top flight work.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 09-11-2010 at 03:32 PM.

?

I was disapointed to hear that very few examples illustrated in the book also show an interior view. The response was that the authors did not wish to educate to fakers which is a fair comment but it's a bit like publishing a book on the most exotic cars without any photos of the engines.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I was disapointed to hear that very few examples illustrated in the book also show an interior view. The response was that the authors did not wish to educate to fakers which is a fair comment but it's a bit like publishing a book on the most exotic cars without any photos of the engines.
    I read your reply to this effect on the lord of the flies site. My issue here is a very quirky title. All the other illustrated works show the interior of caps, and we surely have done so here, so it is not as if these persons have a monopoly on this desirable aspect of "exotic" III. Reich head wear. The cat is out of the bag as to how caps were made and marked, really. The word "exotic" is a misnomer, in any case, no one in the III. Reich described head wear in this way. It is more irritating as it is ungrammatical German, and German when used properly is a wonderful, descriptive and poetic language.

On the other hand, surely nice pieces from a leading collection receive pleasing illustrations as far as it goes, and this work is an addition to the shelf of such works as they have emerged in the past 30 years. A book represents a lot of hard work, and I always salute such work. We respect same. My other point is the trans-Atlantic divide in the quality of books, which I find more and more noticeable in a globalized and shrunken world in which interest in this regalia is a world wide phenomenon.

Paul Sack and Robby Wilson have just released Vol II of Exotische. This is an excellent follow up to their maiden effort, with razor-sharp, well-lit pics (and it includes interiors).

This volume covers French Kepi's of the 20th Century, with a special emphasis on General pieces (Foch & Petain are just 2 of the notable Kepis in this book)--the bullion work on these pieces is mind-blowing.

I recommend it for any military soft-headgear enthusiast.
    Attached Images Attached Images New TR Headgear Book:  Exotische  New TR Headgear Book:  Exotische 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2