Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nskk Helmet care...

Article about: I thought I would ask the expert's prior to doing anything... I dont want my Nskk Crash Helmet to dry out... (straps etc..) is there anything I can use that will help keep it? Thank you in a

?

Default Nskk Helmet care...

I thought I would ask the expert's prior to doing anything... I dont want my Nskk Crash Helmet to dry out... (straps etc..) is there anything I can use that will help keep it?

Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nskk Helmet care...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Nskk Helmet care...

Kaiser's Bunker

try this site. It is brilliant ! has a nice section on restoration and care of picklehaubes which have the same issues you have with the leather on the nssk helmet.

cheers

tony

I'm by no means and expert on leather, and as such I've scowered the internet looking for the same advise. Found tons of "How To's" and "I use this" threads and articls but kept running across one common theme and that is "You Can Not Restore Leather". That is not to say that you can not make it look good, at least for a moment, but from what I have gathered reading studies conducted by museum restoration types is the best thing you can do for leather is just to keep it in safe environment so as to prevent any further damage or drying out. Some of the articals I read got quite technical but made a great deal of sense, one in particulare that discussed what happens to leather when it looses its mostier content and how it is impossible to bring it back. Also read a great deal that talked about the long term damage done by the various leather restoration products, both on the market and kitchen made.

Hope this helps, or at least promts you to do a little bit of reasearch before you attempt something that my be irreversable.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do......

?

Thank you Gents... I have mine in a display case.. I'm going to switch the lights in the case to LED so there is Zero heat... as not to add to drying it out. I will do some research and let you know what I find.